How do I connect to a different license manager

03-09-2020 07:44 PM
KarenWitsell
New Contributor II

I’ve just installed ArcGIS 10.6.1 and a bunch of patches. I did not uninstall the previous version of ArcGIS. After the install,  I changed the license to concurrent. The problem is the license is pointing to the wrong license manager (LM) and the ArcGIS administrator is showing both host names. One on the left hand side above “desktop” and the second on the desktop tab near the change license manager.

I’ve determined that my local user account is nested on this host name but I’m not sure what to do with that information but maybe it’s a clue? 

I have local admin rights but I’m unable to connect to the correct license manager even after entering the correct host name. The administrator is still connecting to the wrong LM. I’ve been provided with the host name and an IP address of where the license manager is located but no other assistance and I’m not clear what to even ask. I have access to the server but I can’t locate the license manager. 

Please help me with getting to my licenses. 

KW

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HamedFarzin
Esri Contributor

Hi @ Karen Witsell

On windows, it requires to open ArcGIS License Manager as an Administrator, this will help you to change the license manager location:

Below are a few links might be helpful. 

Transferring licenses from one License Manager to another—License Manager Guide | ArcGIS Desktop 

Setting the software product and license environment—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

KarenWitsell
New Contributor II

Hi thanks! I tried your suggestions but no change occurred. I'm still seeing two different host names as shown in the graphic below. This is after I run the administrator as an administrator and hit the change button. I then restarted... 

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Karen,

You probably have it set up correctly.  You started the ArcGIS Administrator which is a portal you used to point to the ArcGIS License Server Administrator (hosting the licenses).  When you start the ArcGIS Administrator, it will always display the hostname of the machine it's installed on.  The hostname in the upper left hand is your machine's hostname.  If you want to verify, just open a command prompt and type in hostname.  It will display the hostname of your machine.  The one in the middle is the hostname of the machine hosting your license manager.  If that is the correct license manager hostname, you can go to the Availability folder and display all ArcGIS Desktop licenses hosted on that license manager server.  Therefore the names you've circled in red should always be different unless you have the license manager installed on the same machine.  In this case, you're pointing to your own machine for the licenses.  

If there are licenses available, you should be able to start ArcMap or ArcCatalog.  

Hope that clears up any confusion. 

KarenWitsell
New Contributor II

The response you provided is super helpful! Thanks!!

I started down this path because someone told me that I was pointing to the incorrect license manager based on the differing hostnames as shown in my screenshot. I don't have access to the LM and it is managed remotely. I was working to determine what licenses were assigned to me. I provided a screenshot of the available licenses and they differed as compared to the other person's view. I also kept being told that I needed to enter an IP address without a port, which didn't work for me. All around a confusing scenario. @Amoy Am do you know of any ESRI documentation that describes what you've shared? I wish there was a way to confirm which license manager I'm pointing too. I entered in the hostname and checked the availability. I guess that is all one can do. 

KW

0 Kudos