How can I increase the resources ArcMap uses?

Jump to solution
12-10-2015 08:31 AM
BenPampel
New Contributor II

I have a lot of free memory and CPU that ArcMap isn't taking advantage of when its doings things like a spatial join, how can I increase what ArcMap uses?

The optimization search results I am finding are from 2011 for before 64bit was an option.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ben Pampel

SImple answer is that ArcGIS for Desktop is a 32-bit program. By default it will use 2GB, but that can be tweaked to use 3.2GB in its process space. That is it.

Out of process Python 2.7 Geoprocessing can be extended to use 64-bit address space.  The 64-bit geoprocessing extension installs a 64-bit Python 2.7 instance and replaces linkages to some of the 32-bit ArcPy libraries.

You can of course run multiple instances of ArcGIS for Desktop, but you have to handle the parallelization of your work flow.

Beyond ArcGIS for Desktop, you will have to work with ArcGIS Pro and its 64-bit Python 3.4 instance.

Or move to a non-Esri 64-bit implementation of GRASS or QGIS and the standalone OSGeo GDAL/OGR utilities.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS 10.3 ArcGIS 10.3.x for Desktop system requirements—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

ArcGIS Pro ArcGIS Pro system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

compare functionality yourself to see if the new resources improve your situation

0 Kudos
BenPampel
New Contributor II

My system greatly exceeds the minimum requirements.

Is there a config file I can change or setting I need to increase to see ArcMap start using the memory that is just sitting there unused?

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ben Pampel

SImple answer is that ArcGIS for Desktop is a 32-bit program. By default it will use 2GB, but that can be tweaked to use 3.2GB in its process space. That is it.

Out of process Python 2.7 Geoprocessing can be extended to use 64-bit address space.  The 64-bit geoprocessing extension installs a 64-bit Python 2.7 instance and replaces linkages to some of the 32-bit ArcPy libraries.

You can of course run multiple instances of ArcGIS for Desktop, but you have to handle the parallelization of your work flow.

Beyond ArcGIS for Desktop, you will have to work with ArcGIS Pro and its 64-bit Python 3.4 instance.

Or move to a non-Esri 64-bit implementation of GRASS or QGIS and the standalone OSGeo GDAL/OGR utilities.