Crashing ArcGIS 10.3

03-11-2016 08:46 PM
PhyllisTogarepi1
New Contributor

I installed the current ArcGIS software a little over a week ago and I was happy with its efficiency until yesterday when it started slowing down and finally crushing whenever I try to execute a command using the ArcToolBox. I am frustrated as I have tried to repair the installation but ArcGIS keeps crushing. Someone please help me with a solution.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too many possible causes, so you will have to narrow down the problem

• how close are you to having the minimum specifications to run arcmap?
  • is there a problem with all projects or just one particular one
  • are you using a network for anything (data, reading/writing to etc)
  • what tools specifically are causing the problem?
  • have you reset your profile (search this forum how to do this)?
  • if you share the computer, do other users have the same problem?
  • have you cleared out temporary folders and generally done a cleanup?
  • does rebooting temporarily fix the situation
  • ad nauseum
PhyllisTogarepi1
New Contributor

Thank you Dan Patterson for the quick response. I have a couple of shapefiles that I want to convert to raster. Every time I use the convert feature to raster tool ArcGIS slows down and eventually crushes. I have just found out that when I tried to execute the slope or aspect tools on a dem I got a message that the tools are unlicensed and I am unable to execute the tools. This is strange because I got a new student license not more than 2 weeks ago, and has been working perfectly until yesterday. I am at an elementary level of learning ArcGIS so please bear with me.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

make sure source files and destination files don't contain spaces, filenames longer than 13 chars (for esri grid)

go to Customize Exensions and toggle on the Spatial Analyst extension

PhyllisTogarepi1
New Contributor

Thank you for providing suggestions.Toggling the Spatial Analyst extension worked. I am able to execute the Spatial Analyst tools. On the other hand, the crashing still occurs when I try to convert a feature to raster.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Phyllis,

Can you list the exact steps you are taking to make it crash? Is it only crashing on certain tools? Are there any error messages that you are receiving when the crash happens?

If the problem keeps happening, maybe performing a full uninstall and a fresh install might help, unfortunately. Beyond that (if it still isn't working), there are some pretty extensive things you can do in order to 'make things work' again

(see this thread: Uninstalling/reinstalling Version 10.1 )

Though, I would consult with Esri support before going that far.

PhyllisTogarepi1
New Contributor

Thank you Adrian. I have realised that now ArcGIS is crushing when I use conversion tools e.g. feature to raster. I have clipped some files with no problem but I am yet to explore the responses with other tools. After executing a conversion command e.g feature to raster, the system starts slowing down and finally crushes. An error message appears indicating that ArcGIS for Desktop has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue. Below the report are 2 options to either provide my email address and describe the problem before sending an error report to ESRI or not to send the error report.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What version of ArcGIS are you running? If it isn't 10.3.1 or 10.4, have you checked for any service pack upgrades?

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Phylis,

Just to add an item in the bullet list of Dan Patterson  (btw is already there even though implicitly)

Are you running the 10.3 on Windows 10?

After having upgraded to W10, the suite worked for a couple of months  and then one by one the applications (arcscene, arcmap and pro) started to have problems.

I solved everything by upgrading to 10.4.

If you cannot upgrade you might try to run arcmap in compatibility mode for W 7 or W8.

Unfortunately I cannot say that this workaround works as I am not an expert of  this kind of systems' behavior.

PhyllisTogarepi1
New Contributor

Hi Pan F,

Thank you for the comment. I am running ArcGIS 10.3 on Windows 10 and I started experiencing problems with ArcGIS a few days after  updating my Windows 10. I am using a student's license so I will need to check with my institution if my license allows upgrading to 10.4.

0 Kudos