Concurrent or Single Use Licenses,

Jump to solution
08-31-2017 12:04 PM
SamuelPerez1
New Contributor III

I am new to ArcGIS for Server and am in the works of implementing such an environment for my organization, and I was wondering (from an enterprise server standpoint) if there were any critical pros or cons to issuing a concurrent desktop license(s) among the users in my org, and if there were any real pros or cons to issuing single use licenses now knowing that there will be an enterprise environment later?

With that said, I am wanting to upgrade my org to Desktop 10.5.1 and am trying to decide whether to keep us on a concurrent license or to just go ahead and distribute single use licenses?

Any and all pros/cons and other info is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Long term...that could still be an unknown.  Those of us with concurrent license are grandfathered in, but it it unknown if/when they will pull that out from under us and make us all move to named users.  Based on the fact that they did allow us to have Pro concurrent use license (with enough of us making an argument for it), I think we will be good for many (5?) years to come...but that is just speculation.  My opinion, don't give up you concurrent use licenses if you don't have to.

Just a tip about the newer terminology too, including here on geonet....  "Enterprise" is the 10.5.x umbrella term that includes ArcGIS Server, Portal Imagery Server, etc. "components" (?? My term)     Prior to 10.5.x it was more of a lower case "enterprise" and includes basically the same software, with the exception that Imagery Server was the Image Extension and part of ArcGIS Server (not a separate install).  The terminology isn't critical on how things install/work, but might help in the future if you see the terms (and they are used in that fashion).

If you are satisfied with the response, remember to mark helpful and an answer as correct to close out the thread.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Server/Enterprise does not rely on a concurrent/single-user licensing scheme, that is for Desktop and Pro (if you choose) licenses only.  My opinion, if you have concurrent desktop, keep them...unless you will always have a single-use license for all you staff.  Concurrent-use lets you share licenses, e.g. we have about 50 licenses and handful of ext but about 250 users.  Most of the users only use the software occasionally. If new users join our "pool", they just need to hook up to the license manager (after installing the software) instead of buying and/or authorizing a license on their machine.  If you don't already have concurrent licenses, you can no longer purchase them (which is a real bummer, imo).

Tagging https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-for-desktop-installation-support?sr=search&searchId=14af0b3...‌ since that is usually whenr Desktop licensing questions fall.  You may want to try https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2258?sr=search&searchId=92d66711-33ca-419e-9635-49069a02693a&sea...‌ if you think that is a better location for this discussion.

However, if you are concerned about the ArcGIS Server implications, you may want to give a bit more detail about your setup.  Again, concurrent vs single shouldn't be an issue....but you will need at least one ArcInfo/Advanced level to help with the administration.

SamuelPerez1
New Contributor III

Thank you for quick response! We currently have our Enterprise Server 10.3.1 installed, meaning I only need to install/configure Portal and Data Store to begin building my ArcGIS enterprise. I was more so wondering whether the Desktop license (concurrent vs. single) would in any way affect later uses of our server, but I'm glad to hear it would not.

I do have a couple users with Advanced level licenses, so we should be covered as far as administration goes.

Thank you again for the info!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Long term...that could still be an unknown.  Those of us with concurrent license are grandfathered in, but it it unknown if/when they will pull that out from under us and make us all move to named users.  Based on the fact that they did allow us to have Pro concurrent use license (with enough of us making an argument for it), I think we will be good for many (5?) years to come...but that is just speculation.  My opinion, don't give up you concurrent use licenses if you don't have to.

Just a tip about the newer terminology too, including here on geonet....  "Enterprise" is the 10.5.x umbrella term that includes ArcGIS Server, Portal Imagery Server, etc. "components" (?? My term)     Prior to 10.5.x it was more of a lower case "enterprise" and includes basically the same software, with the exception that Imagery Server was the Image Extension and part of ArcGIS Server (not a separate install).  The terminology isn't critical on how things install/work, but might help in the future if you see the terms (and they are used in that fashion).

If you are satisfied with the response, remember to mark helpful and an answer as correct to close out the thread.