ArcSDE from ArcGIS Server and from ArcGIS Desktop difference

Jump to solution
10-13-2014 10:58 PM
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Dear all,

I would like to know what is the difference between ArcSDE that comes from ArcGIS Server bundle and the one that comes from the ArcGIS Desktop suite? Now I have the ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server 10.2.2 (that comes from ArcGIS Server) and ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express (Personal) (that comes from ArcGIS Desktop). Is the function different? What is the different in purpose and target between those two ArcSDEs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In my classes, I break it down this way:

Desktop SDE - comes with a Standard or Advanced license (Desktop), uses SQL Server Express, administered in Catalog or ArcCatalog, only works on Windows OS, total DB size:  10 GB, 3 concurrent users, only 1 can be editing at any given time.

Workgroup SDE:  comes with ArcGIS for Server purchase, uses SQL Server Express, administered in Catalog or ArcCatalog, only works on Windows OS, total DB size:  10 GB, 10 concurrent users, all of whom can be editing at any given time.

Enterprise SDE:  comes with ArcGIS for Server purchase, uses SQL Server/Oracle/DB2/Informix/PostgreSQL/Azure/others, requires DBA for database administration, works on Window/Linux, Unix, total DB size:  unlimited, unlimited connections

There's more certainly but this should help clarify.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Robert LeClairEsri-Denver

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Pieter_Geertvan_den_Beukel
Esri Contributor

for the difference between those 2 versions, please read this link under 'Capacity.

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Yes, they are different and for different purpose.

Geodatabase | Multiuser Geodatabase

In the above link, assume the below:

ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server 10.2.2:                SDE Enterprise

ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express (Workgroup): SDE Workgroup

ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express (Personal):      SDE Desktop

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In my classes, I break it down this way:

Desktop SDE - comes with a Standard or Advanced license (Desktop), uses SQL Server Express, administered in Catalog or ArcCatalog, only works on Windows OS, total DB size:  10 GB, 3 concurrent users, only 1 can be editing at any given time.

Workgroup SDE:  comes with ArcGIS for Server purchase, uses SQL Server Express, administered in Catalog or ArcCatalog, only works on Windows OS, total DB size:  10 GB, 10 concurrent users, all of whom can be editing at any given time.

Enterprise SDE:  comes with ArcGIS for Server purchase, uses SQL Server/Oracle/DB2/Informix/PostgreSQL/Azure/others, requires DBA for database administration, works on Window/Linux, Unix, total DB size:  unlimited, unlimited connections

There's more certainly but this should help clarify.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Robert LeClairEsri-Denver

EverardoBalboa
New Contributor

Good morning Robert, I am new to the SDE function.  I have no experience in setting up the ArcSDE in any plat form.  Can you guide me int he right direction on How to use the SDE Function in ArcGIS 10.2 for Deskstop.  I have the Advance License.

Thank You

Sincerely,

Everardo Balboa

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Everardo - best place to start is the Help - basically you'll need to install SQL Server Express 2008 R2 or 2012 first.  The ArcSDE business logic is built into the Desktop application.  From there you can create a Desktop SDE geodatabase with all the limitations I mentioned in an earlier post.  Good luck!

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III

Thank you all. I get the picture now.

0 Kudos