ArcMap 10.6 Install Problems

07-02-2018 12:26 PM
TimothyHuggins
New Contributor II

I installed ArcMap 10.6 on a new desktop and when I try to open the program the windows installer box pops up and says preparing to install. Then nothing happens. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you running the installer as an Administrator or with an account with the needed permissions to install software?

Does the machine meet the minimum ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 system requirements—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop ?

Is it possible that your anti-virus is interacting with the installation?

--- George T.
TimothyHuggins
New Contributor II

Yes my account is an administrator account. 

Yes it far exceeds the minimum system requirements. 

The computer came with only windows defender antivirus. I tried turning that off and it still did the same thing. 

Attached is a screen shot of the message. 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

How long have you left it at that screen?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TimothyHuggins
New Contributor II

maybe 10 minutes.

Should I try letting it go longer?

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

Cancel out of the setup dialog.

Follow these instructions to enable MSI logging.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/223300/how-to-enable-windows-installer-logging   

Start ArcMap again.  

there will be a randomly named MSI log in your %temp% folder.  Send me  (or post) that log file, this will help us identify which resource the setup is trying to install or repair. 

Thanks

Laurene Koman 

TimothyHuggins
New Contributor II

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

I can get all the way to policies\software\microsoft\windows\ but do not see "installer".

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

You can add that key and then the remainder. 

TimothyHuggins
New Contributor II

Is this the right thing?

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

Thanks. The log shows that this setup/product is attempting to repair itself.   

MSI (s) (90:40) [15:59:05:696]: Product: TerraGo Publisher for ArcGIS -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (90:40) [15:59:05:696]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: TerraGo Publisher for ArcGIS. Product Version: 6.0.03092. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: TerraGo Technologies. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1602.