ArcGIS Desktop won't connect to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
07-16-2014 02:07 PM
MikeLouwrens
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

On my work PC when I open an ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, etc.) I get the ArcGIS Connection balloon at the bottom saying "ArcGIS is currently not connected to online resources"

arcgisconnection.PNG

This balloon appears as soon as I click the icon to open the application, there's no delay.  It is not hitting the firewall, and in fact when I did a network traffic trace (using Fiddler) there was no network traffic at all, so it didn't even attempt to connect.

This is only happening on my PC.  If someone else logs into my PC the same thing happens.  If I log into someone else's PC it connects as expected.

Not sure what on my PC is disallowing a connection from ArcGIS Desktop.  I have completely uninstalled ArcGIS from my PC and removed any ArcGIS or Esri folders and removed the software/Esri keys from the registry.  After reinstall it still occurred.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this working?

Running ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thanks,

Mike.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Have a look at some of the suggestions in this Blog:

Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap | Support Services Blog

Hopefully one of the suggestions may work for you.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
AlexanderNohe1

Is the other machine on the same network as you or a different network?

MikeLouwrens

Alexander Nohe wrote:

Is the other machine on the same network as you or a different network?

same network.  I have tried on 4 or 5 different machines in my office, they all work except mine.

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you able to Sign-In later manually from your machine?

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

Asrujit SenGupta wrote:

Are you able to Sign-In later manually from your machine?

No, sorry I forgot to include that in my original post.

In ArcMap the "Sign In" and "ArcGIS Online..." options in the File menu are greyed out.

SignInArcMap.PNG

On the other machines these are enabled and usable.

I also have ArcGIS Pro and CityEngine 2014 on this same machine, and these connect to ArcGIS Online as expected.  The ArcGIS Desktop issue started before I installed these applications.  I have, in the past, been able to connect to ArcGIS Online from Desktop on this PC (maybe 2-3 months ago it worked).

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Can you check the "ArcGIS Connection Properties" on your machine and tell us what are the settings in there. heres a screen shot showing how to check that:

properties.PNG

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

It's the same as your screenshot, however no network traffic ever happens, as soon as ArcGIS Desktop opens it tells me that ArcGIS is not connected...

ConnectionProperties.PNG

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Try selecting the 3rd option and increasing the value to a higher number, maybe 30, and then try. I don't think it will work, but still.

If that still doesn't help, there might be something wrong in the registry settings, which might require a complete OS reload ( I am not completely sure about this, just my opinion)

maybe someone else can suggest some other settings change or maybe you can directly call Tech-Support and have them take a look at the machine.

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens

Using the 3rd option makes no difference - ArcGIS Desktop doesn't even attempt to make a connection (there is absolutely no network traffic from ArcGIS Desktop or arcgisconnection.exe).

I am hoping to avoid an OS reload!

I have logged a call with my local distributor, however they haven't had many suggestions as yet.

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Have a look at some of the suggestions in this Blog:

Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap | Support Services Blog

Hopefully one of the suggestions may work for you.