ArcGIS 10.5 install package, setup.exe download?

Jump to solution
11-16-2017 08:12 AM
MichaelKlein
New Contributor II

Hi. I'm doing Desktop installs through a remote desktop connection and I'm asked to download about 1GB of data to a local drive before the install begins. What is being downloaded before the install starts? Does this install package need to be downloaded or can it be read from a mapped drive?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you have a common network drive it should work, although may be a little slower on the install (network traffic etc).

edit:  I should add that you would want to run the .exe and have the extract destination on that network drive for others to access the setup.exe.  We used to do that, but found distributing the downloaded file and having it expanded locally in remote offices was a better choice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It expands into an installer program etc... you should be able to copy it and run it from there.  PS, keep it handy.  I always download the exe's to a known folder, and save the requested destination for the unarchiving into a folder in there.  If you have to reinstall or repair, you can skip running the exe step and just use the msi

MichaelKlein
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan.  I just find it odd that I have to download a 1GB installer program just to install ArcGIS 10.5.  I hope to find a way to install ArcGIS 10.5 on multiple computers and each computer can read the same installer program thus not duplicating 1GB of data on every computer. 

Do you know how each computer can read the same installer program?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

We deploy out lab computers from an image so I guess that won't help you.  If you have a local copy (USB for instance) try that.  Short of moving from machine to machine, you will require some form of distribution internally if you don't have a common share point

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you have a common network drive it should work, although may be a little slower on the install (network traffic etc).

edit:  I should add that you would want to run the .exe and have the extract destination on that network drive for others to access the setup.exe.  We used to do that, but found distributing the downloaded file and having it expanded locally in remote offices was a better choice.