ArcGIS (10.4) Slow Loading on Windows 10

04-26-2016 09:05 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now opening ArcGIS (10.4) takes over a minute (1:36 last test) to load.  I have tried all of the usual tricks (delete normal, uninstall all add-ins, etc) with no luck. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Windows 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 7 on a 64bit machine.  Windows was 'reset' after installation and all applications were removed.  ArcGIS 10.4, ArcEngine 10.4, & Background Geoprocessing were installed after the Windows reset.

Running i5-3470 4/core, 8GB, 120GB SSD

Thanks!

57 Replies
EdwardBoesenberg
New Contributor II

I am also running AVG.  How did you resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

I uninstalled AVG after exhausting all my options to exclude ArcGIS from its definitions (none of which solved the load time problem). I'm not currently using any antivirus software on this machine.

0 Kudos
EdwardBoesenberg
New Contributor II

Uggg.  I don't want to uninstall AVG.

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

If you're using the paid version you might try contacting AVG to see if they can help out on their end. I wish there were another way 😕

0 Kudos
EdwardBoesenberg
New Contributor II

I am using the paid version of AVG so I will have to reach out to them.

0 Kudos
DavidHowes
New Contributor III

Thanks to this thread, I realized that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home 3.x was causing the poor performance I was experiencing not just with ArcMap and ArcCatalog, but also with various other programs. I uninstalled it and went back to version 2.2. Prior to uninstalling, opening an empty ArcMap document took 30-40 seconds. Now it takes about 8 seconds. I had tried adding an exception for ArcMap in version 3.x, but it didn't help.

I also have Webroot SecureAnywhere v9.0 running, but that has no impact on the performance of any programs, as far as I can tell.

KenBates1
New Contributor III

I had the same issues...blamed Window 10 etc....or the older cpu's but I have an hp demo Z2 which came with Win 7 on it.  ArcMap would load in less than 15 secs...upgraded to 10 and installed Kaspersky's... ArcMAP startup...2 mins...uninstalled Kasperky's and back to less than 15 secs...Window Defender seems to work fine!

LionelMartz
New Contributor II

By deactivating Kaspersky it really seems to work again. So it looks like reason is this AV. However, I am only experiancing this with Windows 10. In Windows 7 we also had Kaspersky without any issue.

0 Kudos
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

I work in our IT department as a GIS Analyst. After having 1.5 min load times, I shut down Kaspersky Anti Virus on my machine. Back to 15sec or less load times. The latest update is catching and hanging ArcGIS License Server, maybe the same for other Antivirus software as well.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know if this same phenomenon is occurring on an ArcMap 10.5 installation?

0 Kudos