ArcGIS (10.4) Slow Loading on Windows 10

04-26-2016 09:05 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now opening ArcGIS (10.4) takes over a minute (1:36 last test) to load.  I have tried all of the usual tricks (delete normal, uninstall all add-ins, etc) with no luck. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Windows 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 7 on a 64bit machine.  Windows was 'reset' after installation and all applications were removed.  ArcGIS 10.4, ArcEngine 10.4, & Background Geoprocessing were installed after the Windows reset.

Running i5-3470 4/core, 8GB, 120GB SSD

Thanks!

57 Replies
deleted-user-VeC5jUIlNXtq

I'm on Windows 7 and 10.5 is still plagued by the bug I worked with ESRI support to figure out: #BUG-000099147 In virtualized environments of Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7, the ArcGIS License Server Administrator sends eight requests per minute to a dummy IP address.

See my post from October above. Whether or not everyone is experiencing this exact issue or bug, I'm not sure...but I can confirm I'm still stuck with slow start-up times.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nothing with McAfee (Canada, however)... this Kaspersky keeps coming up all the time, is there a reason people use it?

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by

If  can I add my two cents.

I am also experiencing a slow loading on my W10 (Fresh installation) of ArcMap 10.5 ( 1:49 last test).

Looking at the task manager I saw the ArcgisIndexServer.exe taking lot of resources.

Since this process refers to ArcPRO and I remember I opened PRO last time about 3 weeks ago, I decided to kill it.

Probably isn't the only process that slows the loading of ArcMap but at least now it opens in 45 secs.

0 Kudos
BillSchroeder
New Contributor III

I'm running 10.5, new install on windows 10, i7 processor, 32 gigs ram and it just took me 3 minutes and 38.72 seconds to get Arcmap to where I could choose a map to open.

We're running Kaspersky, so we're going to ask our IT department for assistance on that.

But look at the attached image. This is my network usage going crazy while Arcmap is loading.

Perhaps it's not only Kasperky, but also Arc Connection (which I do not use, and wish would not automatically come on when Arcmap comes on, rather give me a button to click if I need the connection, ESRI, thank you?) which causes the problem?

Over three minutes. QGis is on in seconds at my house on my rinky dinky little old Lenovo...Net usage spike as Arcmap 10.5 loads

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just a suggestion you may want to set Desktop search to only run every 999 days (i.e. Manually). This is under the catalog window options menu. 

0 Kudos
BillSchroeder
New Contributor III

I've performed everything here that a non admin can do and nothing has helped. I have opened task manager and clicked arc connect and ended that task, and it didn't make any difference.

The reason I have this machine is so Arcmap would run faster.

Oh well.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Bill, honestly, I would check with Esri support. Three minutes is too long for ArcMap to load (at least after first time load, when a lot of user setup is required). I heard a great talk from a few support-niks with lots of good suggestions of things to try at EsriUC in the tech support theater.  You may have some display adapter issues that possibly could be tracked down with some help from Esri Support, they have some really nifty tools. I hear you about not having enough access to your computer to even do diagnostics.

Problem: Performance issues with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.x 

Troubleshooting Slow Performance in ArcGIS Desktop | Support Services Blog 

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile‌  <-- my little geonet article was mentioned in the presentation! 🙂

How to configure Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for better performance of your computer  (Kapersky KB article)

0 Kudos
EricPfirman
New Contributor III

I was experiencing 1:30 start up times for ArcMap 10.5. Then I deleted ArcGIS Data Reviewer and now ArcMap loads in 15 seconds!

0 Kudos