ArcGIS (10.4) Slow Loading on Windows 10

04-26-2016 09:05 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now opening ArcGIS (10.4) takes over a minute (1:36 last test) to load.  I have tried all of the usual tricks (delete normal, uninstall all add-ins, etc) with no luck. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Windows 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 7 on a 64bit machine.  Windows was 'reset' after installation and all applications were removed.  ArcGIS 10.4, ArcEngine 10.4, & Background Geoprocessing were installed after the Windows reset.

Running i5-3470 4/core, 8GB, 120GB SSD

Thanks!

57 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

On the unmodified machine, I use python 3.4.? with the Pro install so it comes with, numpy, pandas, scipy, sympy, matplotlib, pil, xlrd, xlwt.  I mostly use pythonwin and pyscripter for IDEs but I have played with others.  As for pygments, reportlab, I use those on my iPad where I don't have Arc* installed (using pythonista... I blogged about it recently).

So by the looks of your install, you need sql and web stuff, whereas I need access to other things like numba, Julia etc, but none of those need arcmap or pro open.  As for python 3.5, I installed in on my iPad and it has a full suite of numpy, matplotlib but scipy and pandas are not there so I just use numpy as a workaround.

The loading and sluggishness seems to be more related to whether you have a standalone installation or require a network of some kind to manage licences and/or data.  It certainly isn't related to windows 10 but either to hardware or network issues

MichaelSnook

After a few months of smooth sailing...the issue is back.  A blank document now takes about 1:30 to load.  This seemed to happen after several windows updates (and a Kaspersky Anti-Virus update).  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

leaving the virus scan as the culprit... I use a different one

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Yes...working with our IT department to troubleshoot...we disabled Kaspersky altogether and saw immediate results...we are now trying to find the offending component.

deleted-user-VeC5jUIlNXtq

I've got a similar issue with a slightly different upgrade path.

Just made the upgrade from 10.1 to 10.4.1. Everything went fine. Launch ArcMap: "Initializing License" takes about a full minute, Document and Application take a few seconds each. I've worked with support on a ton of possible fixes ranging from Normal.mxt to complete uninstall, registry wiping, re-install. No luck.

I'm not on Windows 10, but my supervisor just got a brand new computer with Windows 10, so I figured we should all be upgrading to 10.4.1. Installed 10.4.1 on her Windows 10 machine, and it opens in about 10 seconds.

ArcGIS for Desktop Basic. Windows 7 Professional. All specs exceed the recommended.

We're using AVG, but I've added exceptions to both Map and Catalog exe's.

Will reply here again if we end up figuring out what's going on. I haven't found much on this issue for 10.4, but read a few things on 10.2. Still researching.

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

I just updated from 10.3.1 to 10.4.1 and I am experiencing the same slow start. I already had a ticket open for a question I had about licensing anyway, and asked about the long load time and was told that this was expected behavior

deleted-user-VeC5jUIlNXtq

Hi Anna,

Thanks for replying, reminded me to respond to this thread. After weeks of trying to convince ESRI that this was definitely not expected behavior, they determined a bug existed.

Here's the details I was given: #BUG-000099147 In virtualized environments of Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7, the ArcGIS License Server Administrator sends eight requests per minute to a dummy IP address.

Not sure if it's related to you or not, but they said mine quite possibly was (even though I am not running a virtual environment).

Hopefully they release a patch soon.

anna_garrett

That's kind of disappointing! I'm not running a virtual environment either, and we run Server 2012 R2. I hope there is a patch for this soon as well.

0 Kudos
EdwardBoesenberg
New Contributor II

I am having the same problem.  Did anyone figure what was causing the issue?Michael Snook@

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

If you're running any antivirus software that may be causing the problem. I went through a couple of rounds of uninstalling/reinstalling ArcGIS before we got to the issue of my antivirus software causing the slowdown. I was running AVG, and that turned out to be my problem.

0 Kudos