ArcGIS 10.3 creating directory "1" with some Geoprocessing tools

Jump to solution
03-19-2015 10:26 AM
SteveLowman
New Contributor III

I have discovered that ArcGIS 10.3, when some geoprocessing tools (Buffer) are used creates a single digit directory "1" for some reason.

as in C:\temp\1

This new directory is empty and is produced for no apparent reason.

New install of 10.3 ArcGIS Basic license Level

In C:\Temp\

put a shapefile: parcels

Created a temp MXD: temp.mxd

added shapefile to mxd, saved

selected one parcel

create 100 foot buffer around selected parcel

New "1" directory created with nothing in it.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveLowman
New Contributor III

So I got a much simpler response from ESRI Support.

Make sure all ArcGIS products are closed.

Go to Advanced settings:

-Go to Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\Utilities\

-Right click on "AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe" ->Run as administrator

- On Systems Paths tab -> Reset all values to default.

-Apply

This seemed to fix the issue for me.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AndySimpson1
New Contributor

Steve,

I had a very similar problem a couple of months ago.  In my situation, I was trying to use various ArcPy functions that worked flawlessly in 10.2.2 but when I ran them in 10.3, I started getting these random "1" folders within the directory where my script was running from.  It was the very strange behavior.  I also noticed that other Arctool Box functionality like Rebuilding Locators wasn't working at all.  I would be willing to bet that other pieces of your ArcGIS Desktop software are also not working properly, you just haven't discovered them yet.

I went through the process of submitting a Support Ticket with ESRI and what we figured out was that my ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 software wasn't installed correctly and that 10.2.2 version wasn't removed properly.  And I also think that my original 10.3 Desktop software download was corrupted somehow due to our ongoing LAN Network issues.  So I re-downloaded the 10.3 Desktop software and went through the following "Clean Uninstall" steps:

1. Uninstall ArcGIS 10.3. Remove any ArcGIS programs from the Add/Remove programs list, if there are any extensions remove those first before uninstalling ArcGIS 10.3 Desktop.
  2. Uninstall all Python programs (2.6 is installed with 10.0 and 2.7 with 10.1 and 10.2). If Python is not listed in the Control Panel, delete the folder(s) at C:\Python26 or C:\Python27
  3. Go to C:\Users\'your login'\AppData\Roaming and delete the ESRI Folder (and the Esri_old folder).
  4. Go to Start > Run and type regedit and press the Enter Key 4.2. Delete the ESRI Folder (and the Esri_old folder) in HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software 4.3. Delete the ESRI Folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software
  5. Delete the ArcGIS Folder in C:\Program Files(x86)\Common files.  Do the same for the C:\Program Files\Common files folder if applicable.
  6. Delete the ArcGIS Folder in C:\Program files(x86).  Do the same for the C:\Program Files folder if applicable.
  7. If the ArcGIS program still exists in the Add remove Program list, download the Windows Installer cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651/) and it will clean up that list.
  8. Install ArcGIS 10.3 (Python will install automatically)

I couldn't tell you for certain what the exact issue was but after performing all of these steps, I stopped getting all of the "1" folders and all of the ArcTool Box/ArcPy functionality is now working just as it did in 10.2.2.

Hope this helps you out.

Andy Simpson, GISP

Tacoma Water

SteveLowman
New Contributor III

Andy,

Thanks for the reply.  This seemed to be more of a sledgehammer approach to the solution.  Because of licensing issues in the past I was reluctant to try this.  I have in the past used this route but was hoping not to have to use it this time.

The solution ESRI came up with was what worked for me.

0 Kudos
SteveLowman
New Contributor III

So I got a much simpler response from ESRI Support.

Make sure all ArcGIS products are closed.

Go to Advanced settings:

-Go to Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\Utilities\

-Right click on "AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe" ->Run as administrator

- On Systems Paths tab -> Reset all values to default.

-Apply

This seemed to fix the issue for me.

AdamChavez
New Contributor

This is also the solution for the issue "10.3 No Address Locator Styles".  You can fix it in the administrator, or copy and paste all of the locators into the 1 folder where the .MXD file resides.

0 Kudos
SteveLowman
New Contributor III

Official Bug!

BUG-000086355,

Synopsys-Doing Repair on 10.3 changes folder paths in advanced settings to the text character "1" thus Windows cant find a folder named "1" so it is created in the directory with the current mxd.

Workaround: Reset Advanced settings.