"...Does not have a valid license manager" after upgrade to License Manager 10.3

05-15-2015 08:46 AM
RZ
by
New Contributor

I performed an upgrade to license manager 10.3 on my license server recently. I know it must not be any security issue or anything like that because 10.2 was working perfectly. Whenever I try to connect from a client machine I get the following error message:

"my_server does not have a valid License Manager. Please enter a valid License Manager Server."

The license manager is running, I've authorized all of my licenses, I'm using a 10.3 client to try to connect, I also tried it with a 10.2 client and no luck. All of the licenses are showing up in the manager with the correct version (10.1 - 10.3) under Availability.

I've tried putting the server name in my client ArcGIS Administrator by IP address, port@hostname, hostname... etc.... nothing works.

The only thing suspicious that I have noticed on the server under diagnostics - log is that the socket interface is IPv6. I am not sure how to change that to IPv4. I have a working license manager and the interface is set to IPv4. IPv6 is also disabled on this server...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

Ric Z.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can try a few things

1) Restarting License Manager (In think you must have done that). Check if it is running.

2) Allow ports 27000-27009 through firewall in "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" in LM machine.

3) Also restart the client machines.

4) Try pinging the LM machine from the client machine's command prompt.

It should work if the above conditions are TRUE.

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are by chance trying to run it on a window server 2003?  License manager 10.3 requires server 2008 or newer.  ​I was trying to keep mine on the same server as I had my 10.2 (I.e. Upgrade) and ran into issues. My rolled it back to 10.2 until I could get a newer machine set up.

If that isn't an issue, take a look at your 10.2 service.txt (off the top of my head....so might not be the exact name) and see if you had the first line or two customized.  It may be you have a particular port assigned there to allow it to go thru the firewall.

one last thing....if you used an IP address ti call the LM in desktop in the previous version, and ran into the bug (and hadn't applied the patch) that required an extra "dot" at the end, make sure the client doesn't still have the extra .  

even though they say it can be upgrades in place, I recommend deauthorizing.....doing the install....then author using in the new.   I dI'd it bother ways ( multiple LMs) and felt the deauth/reauth to be a better approach.  However, keep in mind that it takes a but of time fr the licenses to reappear on myesr (at least a good 30 minutes for ours)

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

This can be a tricky situation. I have seen quite a few issues  like this with License Server Administrator 10.3 and typically this deals with a port conflict issue. This may be a case where you may have to adjust the License Server Administrator to use ports that are available. Take a look at this link:

Configure ArcGIS License Manager to work through a firewall—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Let me know if this helps you out.

BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

Dennis, great resource in your link. This worked for us.

We moved from LM 10.1 to 10.3.1.

We did not de-authorize before the upgrade installation, simply stopped the LM. Once installed, clients other than from the same machine the LM is running on, were unable to locate the LM server. Received the message "<<server name>> does not have a valid license. please enter a vaild license manager server"

Nothing changed in our firewall and the same ports were allowed in bound.

Using the article that you linked we were able to make the adjustments as shown... and success!! Funky little error but easily fixed using this article.

ThomasPemberton
New Contributor II

Any solutions to this?  I am seeing the exact same behavior as R Z.

1. Ports are configured same in 10.3.1 service.txt the same as 10.2

2. Same ports are still open in firewall as in were open in 10.2.  I have even opened all ports on firewall and still see same client behavior

3.  If I run license manager locally on server - all licenses are properly listed and installed

4. Diagnostic log shows socket IPv6 and not IPv4.  Not sure if this means it is only listening on IPv6, hence the failure.

5. Can ping server from client.

I have restarted both the servers and the clients multiple times.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Disable ipv6 in the machine hosting the license manager using Microsoft Fix it 50409.

How to disable IPv6 or its components in Windows

Restart ArcGIS License manager Service.

Think Location
0 Kudos
ThomasPemberton
New Contributor II

I ran Microsoft Fix it 50409 and restarted the server, but the lmgrd9.log still shows Arcgis using Socket interface: IPv6

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think you will need to contact the Esri Tech Support team to look into the issues in details.

Think Location
0 Kudos
ThomasPemberton
New Contributor II

I ended up taking 10.3.1 license manager off, re-installing 10.2 license manager and then re-installed 10.3.1 one more time - now it works fine...