Select to view content in your preferred language

Error 1325. Favorites is not a valid short file name.

04-15-2018 08:28 PM
AlexanderVoukelatos
New Contributor

I recently installed ArcGIS pro trial.

at the end of last week I enrolled in an online course to learn ArcGIS. I was given a link to a student version of ArcGIS desktop to download as part of the course material. I uninstalled the trial version of Pro then tried to install the student version but kept getting the follow error

Error 1325. Favorites is not a valid short file name.

I followed advise I found online and deleted all references to ESRI and ArcGIS. I went through the registry as well and there is no reference to ESRI or ArcGIS anywhere. Can anyone please help me

Alex

0 Kudos
3 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Error 1325 is a typical Microsoft installer (MSI) packaging installer permissions error (do a Google or Bing search). Nothing wrong with the package (i.e. not Esri's fault) rather it is a permissions issue with your Windows OS--and more specifically with your user account.

Can be avoided by initially running the .exe or .msi installations "Run as Administrator".  But at this point suspect you need to edit your user shell in Windows registry.

1. Start with a cmd window or powershell window "Run as Administrator"

2. enter "regedit" (will have admin priviledges)

3. navigate down into your profile to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

4. If the path in the data for the Favorites value, or the data fields for any of the the values, starts with other than %USERPROFILE%, change it.

5. close out of registry

6. repeat but unlike 1. run cmd or powershell with just your user privileges

7. again be sure the Favorites shell folder path points to your %USERPROFILE% value.

Those two registry edits should clear the 1325 error.  But suspect you  may have other partial removal/installation issues See how the ArcGIS for Desktop installation proceeds. 

It is counter intuitive, but you may need to reinstall ArcGIS Pro to be able to remove it cleanly, maybe even the partial installs of ArcGIS for Desktop. A utility is helpful,  personally I find the Revo Uninstaller does a good job with cleanup after an uninstall.  Alternative the CCleaner -> registry mode cleanup is effective (and safe).

Good luck and post back results...

AlexanderVoukelatos
New Contributor

Sir,

thank you for your reply. I am pleased to know that my own troubleshooting was consistent with your advice. However I had already tried all you suggested. I have administrator rights for my account. However when I logged in under another username I was able to install the package. For some reason it didn't allow me to install under my username. Problem solved although using slightly different methods to suggested.

Thanks

Alex

AlanaBaker3
Esri Contributor
0 Kudos