Can i install a 10.1 ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 on the same mahcine? If yes i also want to know how to eliminate the Python Installation conflict

Jump to solution
04-15-2016 02:25 AM
shreyesshiv
New Contributor III

We have an ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 already running on a server. Now we want to install ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 on the same machine. Is this possible ? Will it create any conflict?

I use python to process geo data does the above setup create any conflict in the Python installation and it would be helpful if some one shares how the ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server share python libraries.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

The setup of a different version will block the installation if a conflicting product exists on the machine.  The Server 10.2.2 installation should not proceed with Desktop 10.1 on the same machine.

thanks

Laurene Koman

ArcGIS Installation Team

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It has been a while since I mixed versions of Esri software on the same machine.  I recall it technically working, but I also believe Esri would recommend not doing it.

Regarding Python, ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS for Server each have their own, separate Python installations.  Since ArcGIS for Desktop is a 32-bit application and ArcGIS for Server is a 64-bit application, the former has a 32-bit Python installation while the latter has a 64-bit Python installation.  When using the same version of software, there is a potential overlap in Python installations when 64-bit Background Geoprocessing is installed for ArcGIS for Desktop because it uses a 64-bit Python installation as well.  In this case with different versions of software, the Python installation versions will be different as well.

From a Python perspective, you will have 2 or 3 separate installations depending on whether you installing 64-bit Background Geoprocessing.  The Python installations are mostly self-contained, so having multiple ones shouldn't affect any given one from working.  That said, Windows can only do Python file-type associations for a single Python installation, so you will have to be careful about which Python installation is being used when running a Python script using default file-type association.  Also, make sure you are aware of what Python installation your Python IDEs are pointing to since you have multiple ones on the same machine.

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

The setup of a different version will block the installation if a conflicting product exists on the machine.  The Server 10.2.2 installation should not proceed with Desktop 10.1 on the same machine.

thanks

Laurene Koman

ArcGIS Installation Team