ArcGIS 10.4.1 Silent Installation ESRI_LICENSE_HOST parameter not working?

09-14-2016 01:05 PM
StaceMaples
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to deploy our installation batch files [GitHub - StanfordGeospatialCenter/arcgis-install-batch: Batch files and supporting documents for ins... ] and am finding that the ESRI_LICENSE_HOST parameter documented in the Silent Installation dox doesn't seem to be working in 10.4.1. Can anyone confirm that? I've created a reg file to write the registry entry at the end, but I'd rather be using the MSI parameter, if I'm missing something obvious. Attaching the bat and reg files here for troubleshooting. Can't find anything on StackExchange, so here I am at Geonet.

Thanks in advance. 

Stace

0 Kudos
15 Replies
StaceMaples

RE: Curtis' UPDATE

This must be a new 'feature', since I've never seen this behaviour, before 10.4.1.  

You can tell your buddy in Installations that it seems a bit overbearing to force a clean reinstall just to update the license server address. Add it to the list of 'WTF were they thinking' features in ArcGIS. 

Still, it's not writing the server address on clean installs, either. The server address remains 'not_set' in the Administrator unless I apply the reg key using my registry file merge.

I guess I'm still stuck writing workarounds for the new features coming from Esri's "Make Everything an Opaque Pain in the A@# for Our Users" Lab.

Job security, though!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I've added the appropriate reg key and value to my reg file that I merge for changing default settings, so it's written at that point, but if this is a bug, I'd like to get it reported.

You've clearly solved your problem. The default doesn't matter so much for people like you that can easily configure things however you want.

As I discovered, this is not a bug but an undocumented feature. I kind of agree with Esri's install team on this one, with our SCCM deployments going to hundreds of desktops, it makes a lot of sense to us not to break an existing license provision, or any other setting. Easy enough to enforce what you want with a .reg file or registry tweak scripts of your own.

If you have a problem with how this is implemented, make a request on the ideas part of GeoNet, if people agree with you, it will get voted up and considered.

0 Kudos
StaceMaples

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. If I'm and administrator using these scripts, I have my "Big Boy" pants on and can decide NOT TO INCLUDE the parameter in my update script. This is a stupid change. Having to hack the license server address with a reg file isn't ideal. 

0 Kudos
StaceMaples

Also, as I said before, it's not just upgrade installs, but happening with clean installs, as well.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As I said before, I'm not seeing the issue. I suggest contacting Esri support, they can help you out.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

we solved all our network install problems easily... all the students get their own software  work local think global

0 Kudos