Anyone getting random General Function Failure error's with Windows 10 and ArcMap 10.4.1?

05-01-2017 12:13 PM
JeffJones7
New Contributor II

Our company recently upgraded to new Windows 10 desktops. At the same time we upgraded from ArcMap 10.2 to ArcMap 10.4. I am now regularly getting random "General Function Failure" error's while using ArcMap. It typically happens when I am simply navigating the map, panning and zooming around and selecting features and working with the Table data. I am mostly working with existing MXD's that I started working with while I was using 10.2. [Edit]I believe they have all not been updated to 10.4 MXD's.I believe all MXD's started as 10.2 MXD's and have all now been saved in 10.4. I have tried starting an MXD from scratch in 10.4 and seem to be having the same issue, maybe just a little less often. [/Edit]

Anyone have this experience? Or and suggestions on what is going on or how best to approach troubleshooting?

40 Replies
WestervilleGIS
Occasional Contributor

I also am having the same issues with FileGDB's that are not saved locally.  

0 Kudos
CarineStolz1
New Contributor II

Dear Westerville,

Same as you, the problem happens with gdb/shapefile not saved locally. I've just identified exactly the origin of the problem in our case last friday, it happens with data loaded from a network share. If I load data into my mxd from a gdb in a network share ("Y:/geodatabse.gdb"), after a few hours I've got the "general function failure" error. If I load the same data from the server directly ("myserver/mydata/geodatabse.gdb"), no error.

Westerville what is your platform configuration ? Are you using a network share too ?

We are using arcgis desktop 10.4.1 on windows server 2012 r2/Citrix xen app 7.6. 

Carine

CarineStolz1
New Contributor II

And this has nothing to do with the migration from 10 to 10.4.1. We encounter the problem with gdb created in 10.4.1 and mxd in 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
WestervilleGIS
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Yes we are using network shares.  I will try changing the sourcing so that the server names and paths are in there directly.  But you are right, it has nothing to do with going between versions of 10.x (at least not that I can tell).  I was having the issues with 10.2.2. on Windows 10 and still have the issues with 10.4 on Windows 10.

FionaEllison
New Contributor II

carine stolz

Did anyone figure this out?  I am having the same issues.  A 10.4.1 MXD that pulls directly from an enterprise geodatabase works fine but I add data (to that same MXD) that comes from a file gdb on a network drive, I get the error.  I just upgraded to a Windows 10 machine.  I did not have this issue with my old one.  Has anyone found a solution?

JesseHerrick1
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue as Fiona, except I'm using ArcMap 10.5.1.

0 Kudos
MollyWatson
New Contributor III

Our organization has also migrated to Windows 10 and ArcGIS 10.5.1./ArcGIS Pro 2.1.  Several people in our organization receive general function failures when working with data stored in file geodatabases or shapefiles stored on our shared drives (not our SDE environment). ESRI technical support helped us before and said that if we mapped the data using the UNC paths that would resolve the issue. It did lessen it some, but the issue still happens. It happens when people are editing, printing, or even just viewing the data. We also get it when importing excel and csv files into ArcMap.  We have yet to find a solution and it is very frustrating.

timdunlevie
Occasional Contributor

wow. This is exactly what is happening to us. Data stored in a fgdb stored on a windows file server.

We are using Windows 10 and AM 10.5 !

I have tried mapping UNC paths but I still get the error message and the data fails to display.

To fix I have to exit AM then open it back up.

Did you find any other trick to this ???

Agreed....very frustrating!!

thanks

MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tim,

No we have not found any other tricks to fix it yet. We are working with ESRI technical support and our IT technical support to try to troubleshoot. The only resource I found that may be a solution is regarding the group policy settings. I've suggested this to our IT staff but I'm not sure if they have looked into it. Perhaps you could look into in your organization. Here is an article about it: Windows 10 Repeatedly Disconnects Network Drives | MCB Systems 

timdunlevie
Occasional Contributor

Funny you say group policy ..my IT person actually said a similar thing...

Will update you....

Thanks for getting back to me.

Appreciate it (im very frustrated) !

In saying that the use of UNC paths seems to help...im still testing but early results ok!

Tim

Sent on the go with Vodafone