Why was Military Analyst Tool removed from ArcGIS version 10.2?

06-18-2015 10:35 AM
JamesMurgas
New Contributor II

Why was the Military Analyst Tool removed from ArcGIS version 10.2?

We need the Military Analyst Tools that were removed in ESRI ArcGIS 10.2.

This effects the support we provide to the soldiers.

We have left some computers on ESRI ArcGIS version 10.1, just so we can still keep everyone safe while the military is training.

The latest EGFD has been updated to 10.2 and does not have all of the SDZ capabilities in 10.1.

Military Analyst provides tools to plan/create Surface Dange Zones (SDZs) scenarios to a live common operational picture called the Enhanced Graphics Firing Desk (EGFD).

Thje EGFD is a live map feed of SDZs which provides Range Operations a visual map to track and guide soldiers, government civilians, contract and hunters from entering areas where live fire activities are Hot.

We need ESRI to add the Military Analyst Tools back in as a patch for version 10.2.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

According to this document, much of that functionality is native to later versions: ArcGIS Desktop

0 Kudos
JamesMurgas
New Contributor II

Sephe,

We are missing the Geodesy Graphics tool using Azimuths and some other tools.   ESRI confirmed that some of the tools are not in version 10.2.  There are tools missing and the others tools that are scattered throughout the product and some take on multiple tools to do what a single Military Analyst tools did previously.

Jim

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ok. Just so you know, the forum is intended/used as more of a method to get help or answers to specific questions from your peers. It's not a very good way to make a complaint to ESRI as I doubt they monitor posts here. It sounds like you already have a response from ESRI that some of the functionality is gone. You can try to develop the functionality yourself using python scripts or similar, or look around and see if someone else has developed it. Good luck.

0 Kudos
JamesMurgas
New Contributor II

Thanks Sephe,  I apologize for it sounding like a complaint, but thought it would be good to identify the magnitude of the problem and see who else is having the same issues that may help resolve the problem.  I should have worded it differently.

I will contact my ESRI representative again to verify their planned support.

If any Military Analyst users have started to combine any of the tools and/or writing python scripts I would be happy to contact you and discuss.  Has anyone created a Geodesy Azimuth Tool?

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ok, ok, in return, I didn't mean to sound like I was giving a smack-down. I was just trying to let you know how best to get help. You might edit your post title to something like "Anyone else missing the functionality of Military Analyst?" That title's not very good, but you get the idea.

Also, I probably would have made this a discussion rather than a question, just because questions are designed to be looking for a solution to a specific problem, and there are several of us who prowl around like mountain lions hunting for problems and pouncing on them

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ooooor, a question titled "looking for scripts that replicate the Geodesy Azimuth Function in Military Analyst". Better? That's something we can actually bite on

0 Kudos