Permission levels - Production mapping / Defense mapping?

Jump to solution
09-04-2014 05:52 AM
WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Hopefully the following will be simple to answer:

In order to help our IT section with user permissions I would like to know if the user requires 'Write & Admin' permissions over the certain geodatabases and associated files/directories that reside in the install location (normally C drive associated with production & defense mapping):

I am aware of the default geodatabase, scratch, and workspace environment settings - and how to modify them.

I have customised the following (see below) and assume that once these files are at a production level the user will not require admin/write access to these.

If any knows of any other locations where specific tools write to (say temp locations in the user or C drive) that would also help.

• The reference data location (mapindex, elements, elevation regions, ancillary)
  • Custom map info table in mapindex GDB
  • The Mxd template location - where the rapid graphic tool - sources the template for MDG production (for example)
  • The Defense Grid xml's
  • VST geodatabases and associated style files (for example NSG, and MGCP).

The production data is a File Geodatabase on a network location (at testing stage it was the default location C:\Data etc)

Also at this stage I am not using TAM or Workflow manager for production - but that could change.

Thanks for your help,

William.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

William

We recommend full administrator permissions to the install locations for both ArcGIS & Python (and by default Defense Mapping).  Many geoprocessing tools access various files in these locations.  If you have restricted access to the C-drive, then you may want to consider installing to a separate drive.

Regards,

Bo

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

William

We recommend full administrator permissions to the install locations for both ArcGIS & Python (and by default Defense Mapping).  Many geoprocessing tools access various files in these locations.  If you have restricted access to the C-drive, then you may want to consider installing to a separate drive.

Regards,

Bo

WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III

Thanks Bo.

I'll pass that information on. Good info, Prompt answer.

Excellent.

Regards,

William.