Simple vs Non Simple

10-21-2010 02:00 PM
BartHound
New Contributor
When is a Parcel polygon a Non Simple Geometry?  I recently ran the invalid Check for our parcel layer and it came up with 2 problem polygons that were listed as non simple polygons.  Not sure why that would be the case, though.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
A feature is considered Not Simple when its geometry is topologically incorrect. Please see the following link regarding ITopologicalOperator.Simplify Method:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_cpp/componenthelp/index.html#/Simplify_Method/000w0000...

What software was used to capture the parcel layer?

Have you run the Check Geometry geoprocessing tool? What happens?

Have you run the Repair Geometry geoprocessing tool? What happens?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
A feature is considered Not Simple when its geometry is topologically incorrect. Please see the following link regarding ITopologicalOperator.Simplify Method:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_cpp/componenthelp/index.html#/Simplify_Method/000w0000...

I will chime in here for Bart, since he is home sick, the data was input via COGO, it may have been Workstation for these two polygons.  As far as I know both of these tools were not run on the data, so thank you we will investigate these further with these two tools.  I too, have seen some non simple lines, but they make sense, in that they are typically lines that need exploding, and the polys that I have seen were for Books/Pages, and one can clearly see where the issues are, so I will need to recheck with Bart when he makes it in, hopefully later this week.

Thanks again Dan for your assistance in this matter.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor

Workstation ArcInfo
Repair and Check do not work with SDE Data Layers.
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
The problem could potentially be that there are some vertices that are within the database tolerance.  You can investigate those features in the Sketch Properties in Edit mode.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
We are seeing non simple for our Parcel Lines show up as rows only with no associated geometry feature, very strange...  Will continue investigating.  Looking forward to SP1.  If you can give Daryl a pat on the back for me.
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
All invalid geometry errors are captured as ROW errors.  That's why you do not see a Reviewer geometry associated to the error record.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
All invalid geometry errors are captured as ROW errors.  That's why you do not see a Reviewer geometry associated to the error record.

I did not realize that all invalids were captured this way.  Will need to re inspect my editors work.  Thank you Michelle.
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
BTW - at 10 SP3, we now capture non-simple geometries as feature records instead of row records.  So you'll be able to double-click on the record in the Reviewer table and be taken directly to that feature.
0 Kudos
PhuNguyen
New Contributor III

How i can auto repair it? (Not use Sketch Properties in Edit mode). Thanks

0 Kudos