Save batch file to previous version (10.3.1 to 10.2.2)

11-02-2016 09:00 AM
JeaninePaschke
New Contributor

I have a Data Reviewer batch file that I created in 10.3.1.  I have users that are running 10.2.2 that would like to use it.  They get an error when opening the batch file that says " This is an incompatible version of the Reviewer Batch Job".. Is there any way to "save as" a previous version?  I thought it might be an option in the "Batch Job Manager", but don't see it.  Many thanks for any suggestions.  I'd hate to have to install 10.2.2 on another machine and recreate them all.

5 Replies
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Don't know your answer, but a suggestion if you have to go the rebuild route:  setup a set of VMs on your box and install the various ArcDesktop versions you're having to support.  Not optimal to just a Save As but it does allow you to run the two Data Reviewers, in essence, side by side and then see the setups, copy and paste, etc..  from one Reviewer setup to another.

MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor

No, there is not a way to save a RBJ file to a previous version.  If I have customers/users with different ArcGIS versions, I usually create Reviewer Batch Jobs in the earliest version.  RBJs are forward compatible, but not backwards compatible.  Also, there were some really nice performance enhancements at 10.3.1 for ArcGIS Data Reviewer checks.  You may want to suggest your users to upgrade if possible.

0 Kudos
EvanMyers1
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for a little late.  Make a copy of the RBJ file that you want to use for older Data Reviewer versions.  Open that copy using Notepad.  On the first line of text, you should find a url, (xmlns:esri='http://www.esri.com/schemas/ArcGIS/10.4'), which ends with your version number.  Change that number to your desired version number.  In my case, I created a 10.7 version and down graded it to a 10.4 version.  Hope this helps.

MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor

Hi Evan,

I have done this on occasion and it's worked for me for the most part.  I just want Data Reviewer users to know that this is not a recommended workflow, and we cannot guarantee that it will not cause problems down the road.  That being said, if you want to try it, be sure to make a copy of the RBJ file before editing it.

0 Kudos
AaronSapsford
Esri Contributor

I can confirm that 1 of 2 things will happen.

1) It will work

2) It won't work

I've experienced both...  there's is no 'magic' fix.

0 Kudos