Hello Data Reviewers! Has anyone had problems with using 'Current Extent' in Data Reviewer? Reviewer seems like it is checking items outside of the current extent even though I have it checked. Is this because there is a check on a relationship rule in th

Jump to solution
11-10-2014 10:33 AM
BrettGovernanti
New Contributor II

I hope that I've found the corner of the internet where Data Reviewer types like to hang out. If there is a better place, could you let me know? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrettGovernanti1
New Contributor III

So we've been told that since the related tables have no spatial component, the tool is operating as planned by evaluating all records participating in the relationship. This makes it difficult to work with. However, despite this, the organization of the rules and a revision of our database design and continual reconciliation of replicas has increased the speed of the time required for Data Reviewer analysis. The checking of all relationships has caused us to use work arounds so as not to burden users. This is workable but doesn't lend itself to providing a truly efficient solution for Quality Control that we had hoped. Hopefully this issue will be resoled on further release.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BrettGovernanti
New Contributor II

Sorry, I asked my question in the title and got it truncated. 'Current Extent' in Data Reviewer? Reviewer seems like it is checking items outside of the current extent even though I have it checked. Is this because there is a check on a relationship rule in the RBJ and that checks each record in the related table regardless of extent?

0 Kudos
BrettGovernanti
New Contributor II

First off, I work in municipal government and the features involved there, utilities, parcels, center lines, addresses, etc.. I have RBJ sets for the various workgroups in our region that update GIS data. Reviewer will function as a QAQC process to evaluate quality of data entering the system as well as to evaluate data currently in the system for data gaps, geometry errors, and general inconsistencies so that a plan for their resolution can ensue.  Reviewer has an option to evaluate the current extent and a checkbox to evaluate only changed features. However, I am seeing that when evaluating a batch job according to current extent with the changed features option checked, Reviewer seems to evaluate items that are outside the current extent. This is frustrating since the amount of time that each RBJ process is taking is far greater than ideal, especially when the only two features were added to address points. And to repeat my comment above, any relationship rule continues to check all records regardless of extent. Has anyone else a found similar issue? @Michelle_Johnson Have you experienced this? Do you have any additional tips for evaluating extent or change features?

0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor

Hi Brett,

I just saw this.  Did you ever get anything resolved?  So you had some relationship checks in your batch job?  It will go through all the records in the Destination table against the selected features in your Origin Table. The only check that does not honor the Features to Validate option is the Unique ID check.  For this check, it will have to go through all records to ensure uniqueness.

Something else to check for...If any of your checks have "Always Run on Full Database" enabled in the check properties, then this will supersede whatever option you chose in the Features to Validate.

0 Kudos
BrettGovernanti1
New Contributor III

Thanks Michelle, sorry I hadn't noticed that you commented. I added some additional detail below. When used as QAQC for edits made to a small area, i.e. a street intersection, it is unfortunate that outfalls and manholes that have related data require the evaluation of every single history record they are related to when the best possible situation would be that the tool would evaluate the geometry that has changed or was added, then evaluating the related records that apply to those features. Evaluating the entirety of the related table really hurts for turn around time for a multiuser geodatabase where time is a concern but data quality is a also a priority. We're using some workarounds but this makes the tool less than ideal. I appreciate your reply. Maybe we can use some custom checks to get around this issue?

0 Kudos
JulieRoebotham
New Contributor III

michelle_johnson-esristaff

So if i'm running a batch job that contains unique ID checks on a selection set and i'm getting records written to the reviewer table for unique IDs not in my selection set, thats a result of the unique ID check not respecting the Features to Validate option? (because it needs to ensure uniqueness?) this makes sense, just wanted to confirm. have you seen this in any documentation anywhere?

thanks!

0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor

Yes,  you are correct. The unique ID check doesn't honor the Features to Validate option. It always run on full database.  There is a Note in the help topic for the UniqueID check.

0 Kudos
MuhammadAttique
New Contributor III

Hi Brett Governanti,

Me too faces this issue , Data Reviewer go for all records even though select Selection set or Current Extent

but I found one option , I am not sure it will work for you or not , because it is sometimes  work fine with my RBJ check list .

When we Start a Session go to Advance - Default Checks - unmarked Invalid geometry checks, because it is the default check when we start session it enable automatically , what I am thinking it may cause to check rest of the records for validity ,

Let's check it ,

if you found something new kindly let me know ,

thanks

0 Kudos
BrettGovernanti
New Contributor II

Muhammad, thank you for the idea to try. I am trying your method. I need to evaluate a large area at present and so cannot tell if your method is working. Let me try again tomorrow on a smaller area and I will respond again with findings. Do you use Data Reviewer in your organization for Quality Control? If so, do you include many rules in your RBJ?

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
MuhammadAttique
New Contributor III

Sorry for delay ,

this method works fine,

Yes we are now planning to implement data reviewer, & I am going to set validation rules for our data.

let's see .

Thanks

0 Kudos