Select to view content in your preferred language

Geometry on Geometry Check

09-24-2010 09:55 AM
GregHorch
New Contributor III
I'm having issues with the Geometry on Geometry Check.  I'm looking for point features that do not intersect a line feature.  The reviewer is flagging orphan points but is also flagging points snapped to the end of only one line. Points snapped to the end of more than one line are fine.  I have tried multiple Spatial Relation Check types.  Any advice?

Reviewer 9.3.1 SP1 Patch2 build 533
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AmberBethell
Esri Contributor
I don't currently have a 9.3.1 machine but I tested on 10. 

I used the geometry on geometry check with the point as the first feature class and the line as the second.  I chose Intersects as the relation type and enabled the not option.  I did not specify a tolerance. 

For my sample data I created a few lines and snapped points to the edge, vertex, and ends of some of the lines.  I create a point completely disconnected and another close to the end of the line but not snapped.  Only the points that were not snapped were returned.  The selected features in the attachment are the only ones returned for me. 

If this option does not work for you, you can try the custom relation *T******* - this operation should find all points snapped to the end of the line (enable the not to find those not connected to the end of a line).  You can create a composite check that returns the results you mentioned - the orphans + those snapped to the ends.  Then you can add another Geo on Geo check to limit those results to those not snapped to the ends of points - use the *T******* with the not checked on.  If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I can included a sample bactch job.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
you can try the custom relation *T******* -

What is this check?
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
I know that there have been issues with data in file geodatabases where the Geo on Geo check returns features that are connected.  If the data is in a personal gdb, the results are okay.  I've also applied a small tolerance, like 6", when working with file geodatabases to get correct results.

Ted,  This is the geometry on geometry check using the Spatial Relationship "Relation".  When this is selected it will enable the Custom Spatial Relation text box.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I know that there have been issues with data in file geodatabases where the Geo on Geo check returns features that are connected.  If the data is in a personal gdb, the results are okay.  I've also applied a small tolerance, like 6", when working with file geodatabases to get correct results.

Ted,  This is the geometry on geometry check using the Spatial Relationship "Relation".  When this is selected it will enable the Custom Spatial Relation text box.

Hmmmmm, ok, thank you.
0 Kudos
GregHorch
New Contributor III
Yep, working just fine in 9.3.1 SDE.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
GregHorch
New Contributor III
Forgive me if 10 already handles this. 

What I really want to do (through data reviewer) is compare attributes between points and lines depending on whether the point connects the beginning of the line or the end of the line.  For example, in a wastewater network, does the invert of the upstream manhole match the upstream invert of the sewer main? 

Another wish is to use SQL in the compare expression.  For example:

Left (Sewer Main ID, 9) <> Manhole ID.  Of course, that would be the upstream manhole.
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
At the release of 10, we introduced the valency check that would validate your example.

Regards,
michellej.
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
I'm having issues with the Geometry on Geometry Check.  I'm looking for point features that do not intersect a line feature.  The reviewer is flagging orphan points but is also flagging points snapped to the end of only one line. Points snapped to the end of more than one line are fine.  I have tried multiple Spatial Relation Check types.  Any advice?

Reviewer 9.3.1 SP1 Patch2 build 533

I just wanted to mention that this was a core bug with file geodatabases that was exposed through a few Reviewer data checks like the Geometry on Geometry Check.  The core ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 4 has addressed this issue. Please install the service pack at your earliest convenience.
0 Kudos