Can multiple Data Reviewer batch jobs be run at the same time using Task Scheduler?

Jump to solution
04-15-2020 12:26 PM
TerriWaddell1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up my Data Reviewer batch jobs to run as tasks under Task Scheduler.  For reference, Task Scheduler calls a .bat file, which calls my Python file.  Currently I have 19 of these that need to run, as they each have at least one Data Reviewer check that take several hours to finish.  If I were to run them sequentially one after another, it would not finish during the time we have available at night.  When I ran them manually, I would open up an ArcMap document for each batch job, then run the batch job.  They all ran at the same time in ArcMap without issue (other then really slowing down my computer!)

The Python "checks out" the Data Reviewer extension.  If I have this same step in each of the python scripts that run, and have Task Scheduler start them 1 minute apart, is that a problem?  I wasn't sure if a "checked out" extension means only one of these tasks can run at a time.  I've already tried this and several of them run but never seem to finish, while others give a time out error, and others work just fine.  I'm trying to troubleshoot if running so many at about the same time is the problem, versus some other random thing I cannot seem to find.

Thanks!

Terri

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KumarGaurav
Esri Contributor

Hi Terri,

You can run these batch jobs using python scripts as long as you have sufficient number of licenses available as each python script will checkout one Data Reviewer license and execute the GP tool.

I quickly tried with 4 batch files calling Execute Reviewer Batch Job GP tool at the same time and I did not experience any issue. So if you are getting any time outs or other issues please check other things like database connections, batch job execution permissions which might be causing these problems.

One more suggestion is to log GP messages and other custom messages in a .txt file to see if anything come up.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KumarGaurav
Esri Contributor

Hi Terri,

You can run these batch jobs using python scripts as long as you have sufficient number of licenses available as each python script will checkout one Data Reviewer license and execute the GP tool.

I quickly tried with 4 batch files calling Execute Reviewer Batch Job GP tool at the same time and I did not experience any issue. So if you are getting any time outs or other issues please check other things like database connections, batch job execution permissions which might be causing these problems.

One more suggestion is to log GP messages and other custom messages in a .txt file to see if anything come up.

TerriWaddell1
New Contributor III

Thanks for that clarification.  We only have one license, so it's back to the drawing board to see if I can better optimize what runs when.  Appreciate the answer!

0 Kudos