Value changing

Jump to solution
01-22-2021 11:55 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have been working on a tool to pull an MS Access query and transform it into a Portal Feature Service.  Had it working for a week, but now it does not work anymore.  There is one specific problem...

There are 20 fields that contain a simple 1 or 0 in the Access db.  When I export to CSV, all of the data in those fields is either a 1 or a 0 for every record.  My Portal Feature Service is ready for those values in each of those integer fields with a domain (1=True, 0=False)  .  When I first made my Workbench Tool, it worked.  I had an Access Reader, VertexCreator, CoordinateSystemSetter, Reprojector, and the Portal Feature Service Writer.

Now, for some reason, all of my 1 values are writing as -1 (negative one).  I have no idea why.  When I look at a table, I see "No" or "-1" now.  The 0 (zero) is coming out right, but the 1 is being changed to a -1.  

I have been tearing this tool apart, building new ones, to no avail.

I have found that the field type of all of these 1/0 fields coming out of the MS Access Reader are defined as "[yesno]".  When inspecting the data of the reader and each of the Transformers, I see values of "Yes" and "No" for each.  Seeing that the 0 is obviously making it into my Feature Service correctly, I thought that I could just open up the writer and in the Value entry for every one of these fields - and use the Arithmetic Editor and say [fieldname]*-1.  Hey, 0*-1=0 (no change) and -1*-1=1 (yay, positive one).  BUT alas, it said that I had a string calculation error - can't math "No"*-1.  So - how is the No being converted to a 0 and the Yes being converted to a -1.  (I am seriously confused now...)

So I found the AttributeValueMapper and, in one field, mapped "Yes" to 1 and "No" to 0.  Ran the tool, and it worked.

Well - now I have to format an AttributeValueMapper for another 19 fields????

EDITBack in the office, trying to string a number of the AttributeValueMappers together and find that I cannot configure the newly changed value to map to the original field in the next AttributeValueMapper.  Can't attach the "_looked_up" field to the correct field in the next one.

red represents field I want to pass from first AttributeValueMapper to the next.red represents field I want to pass from first AttributeValueMapper to the next.

Can I just use the same field name in the Destination Attribute to string them together?

Samefield.PNG

This does not seem right.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Adam you can chain two NullAttributeMapper transformers to do this, in one change 'Yes' to a new value 1 and in the other 'No' to 0.  Somewhat unhelpfully BulkAttributeMapper is an alias name for the transformer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Adam you can chain two NullAttributeMapper transformers to do this, in one change 'Yes' to a new value 1 and in the other 'No' to 0.  Somewhat unhelpfully BulkAttributeMapper is an alias name for the transformer.

AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you @BruceHarold !  I am finding that using FME for the first months is like when I started to use tools in ArcGIS Desktop.  I know what I want to do - but what does Esri call it???  🤣

Still strange why the reader is interpreting a field instead of just giving me a value.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Wait a while we'll rename it too 😉