Zoom to map areas of interest using the Operations Dashboard Selectors

01-25-2019 12:13 AM
DavidVidovic1
New Contributor II

If the Selectors could access the bookmarks in my web map, and "zoom to"  the corresponding bookmark extent, it would be very useful.

For example: My web map has different areas of interest, and I have configured several Indicators for each these areas of interest.

The only way to elegantly display Indicator information, without having to create an Indicator for every single area of interest, is by using the Selectors i.e. The user picks "SOUTH REGION" and the Indicator configured to a map layer where [REGION] = "SOUTH REGION" will display corresponding attribute info. So, this good.

The problem is while the info is updated when a Selector is clicked, the map extent doesn't/cannot change to match the user selection.

There needs to be a way for the MAP to respond to what the user has selected, not just elements such as Indicators.

If anyone has a technique or workaround - please let me know!

Tags (1)
9 Replies
DavidVidovic1
New Contributor II

Since writing the question, I found a workaround: If you create a List with e.g. the areas of interest, you can configure the Actions to zoom to those areas on the map; update the Indicators; etc. 

This is not ideal because the Selectors is more elegant, but this works.

DarrylKlassen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi David,

I don't see an option in the List Widget Options to Zoom or Pan on the map.  I only see a filter option.  Where do you see this?

Thanks

Darryl

DambéSANWOGOU
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem, i want to zoom on a polygon when i click in the list menu.

AliciaRitzenthaler
New Contributor III

Hi David- Can you please elaborate? I would also like to do this but like Darryl Klassen‌ and Dambé SANWOGOU‌ I can't find zoom as an action option in my list configuration. 

Thanks!

Alicia

0 Kudos
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III

I have the same issue.  The zooms to a polygon using the category selector are not very good at all.  In fact in some cases, all it does is pan over to the selected region without changing the zoom.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same problem. I would like to be able to set how far of a zoom occurs for lines or polygons. 

WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III

Rebecca Lehman‌, although I was never able to solve this.  I did find a partial work around.  Basically, I turned the polygons into points, then I was able to change the zoom using the solution here: https://community.esri.com/thread/206901-map-zoom-level-when-clicking-on-item-list 

I chose a zoom that worked better for most.  As I said, it is a work around, not perfect.  You can also only choose 1 zoom.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Of course!!! Thank you so much, that should work OK for me too. 

It definitley doesn't solve the problem, but it's a bit better.

It looks like the deault zoom on line and shapes is 3x the size of the feature. This is too big a zoom to make it useful in long or large features. . 

bdewitt_olsson
New Contributor III

When you set a zoom action in a dashboard there should be zoom extent settings similar to those for Data Driven Pages/Map Series in ArcMap/Pro.