What to use to make a GIS dashboard?

03-14-2023 11:20 PM
Labels (1)
ferb0
by
New Contributor

Hi I am a grad student who has a fair amount of experience with data science. My research has taken me into the world of GIS. No one in my lab has ant GIS experience. I've been tasked by my advisor to make an interactive dashboard to showcase my research.

I've been using python+geopandas for the GIS aspects of my analysis. I have an analysis pipeline written in python which output a Geo Dataframe with several columns of geometry information and many with other information.

We want a dashboard with an interactive map and several plots next to it, the plots require customization beyond the default simple plots I have seen in arcGIS dashboards. Ideally the user would be able to mouse over places on the map and the corresponding elements in the plots would be highlighted and vice-versa.

The dashboard should be

Professional looking and customizable(this is important to my advisor)

Be able to be hosted on our server

Ideally would rely on python or javascript and not new tools

I've looked at D3 which seems very customizable but not intended for GIS specifically and seems like it would require a lot of legwork to get working. I've also looked at ArcGIS dashboards which seem simple to create but I worry that the customization required is not there. I have also looked at Dash+Ploty which seem promising and fairly customizable.

What frameworks would you recommend using for this project? Any advice on D3/ArcGIS/Dash or any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies