What does "+Override" do in the Category Selector options?

03-14-2019 10:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to use the category selector to group several values into a smaller number of values and it seems like +Override option would do this, but I can't find any clear instructions on how to apply this. I have added 2 categories, but nothing happens. I was hoping I could define several different values that I could group into each of the new categories I added, but I don't seem to have the option to do this. I don't know what other point there would be to having this option, though.

If anyone could provide even a link that explains, I'd appreciate it. I have Googled and searched and not found anything.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm trying to group my categories form the "Task Code" field in a way similar to how you can group similar legend items into one category.

I want everything with the word "Domestic" to be in the "Domestic" Category and all other values in the "Long Term" Category. It seems like this is what override would allow me to do, but I'm not seeing any way to make it happen. 

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Randy,

I'm trying to do almost the exact same thing with my Dashboard. Did you ever get this figured out? 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I didn't. What I ended up doing  was adding the categories I wanted to an attribute in the feature class. Reclassification and grouping "on the fly" of the sort I wanted to do in dashboard is either not possible or I'm too thick to figure it out 😕

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for the quick response! I'm on a tight deadline and trying to get this figured out!

So, you added a new field, and then filled out that attribute for two of the features to say "Domestic" and "Long Term"? Then how did you filter through the dataset? The Category Field would still have to be "Task Code", correct? 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually, I was thinking of a different project. I learned on this one that I didn't need to break them into 2 categories. If I had to, I would have added a new field called "Task_Code," done a query for all that match "Domestic" criteria" and calculated "Task_Code" = "Domestic," then selected for those that were "Long Term" and calculated Task_Code = "Long Term" then I'd have a single field with the two values I need to filter on.

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Randy, that's a fantastic workaround! I really appreciate you sharing. 

I'm not completely sure that workflow can apply to my specific project because I have more than two categories. Right now, if I load categories based on what is in the field I want to filter, it looks like this: 

But I want it to look like this:  (this was a "cosmetic" fix only, the filter doesn't actually work)

Basically, I want it to work as a regular filter, where I can check "Marsh", and any feature that includes the word "Marsh" in that attribute would display, etc. But I just can't get it to function properly. 

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your wisdom, I really like your thinking on that one.  

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think you need 2 fields "Detailed-Type" and "General_Type" or something like that.

If you added a field called, say, "General Type" and calculated everything with the word marsh in the Detailed_Type value to = "Marsh" then all records with marsh in them would appear if you selected General_Type = "Marsh" I would think.

Have you used the "List" or "Details" widgets? Those can be set to display attribute information and you can add an action to your filter to only display attributes that are currently filtered.

You can filter on general type, but then display the detailed type attribute in a list or a detail pane. 

0 Kudos
Ade_Bruijn
New Contributor III

Can anyone explain the +override? I want to achieve same result as described by Randy 03-14-2019.

Thanks,

Anne

0 Kudos