survey123 into dashboard want to see domain description not the domain code

05-04-2021 07:42 PM
KirstenLukeACJV
New Contributor II

I am pulling data from a feature service (from the map) into the survey123 within this dashboard and I can make it work with this code (major help from colleagues getting this far!) - 

?mode=collect&field:Station={CCCODE}&field:buildingtype={Asset_Code}&field:Asset_Num={Asset_Num}&field:Comments={Comments}

But this just brings in the domain code.  I really need the domain description to copy over not the code. The users need the description.  (I don't really want to build the descriptions into survey123 connect)

Any suggestions?  Thank you so much!

KirstenLukeACJV_0-1620181257310.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi Kirsten,

Are you able to upload a higher quality screenshot of your Dashboard and embedded Survey123 element? It's a bit hard to make out but if your 'Station' question is getting prefilled by the CCCODE attribute of the selected feature in your map, is that alphanumeric entry not what you would expect?

Seems quite long for a domain code?

Thanks,

Glen.

KirstenLukeACJV
New Contributor II

Yes, the CCCODE is the field name and the alphanumeric entry is the domain code not the description.  The description is the full station name.   Thanks for thinking about this!

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hmmm, I'm not able to replicate the issue on my end...
Are we using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Portal? (if Portal, what version?)

Can you provide a screenshot of the 'CCCODE' field configuration from the 'Data' tab of the feature layer in your web portal? Displaying the List of Values (Domains) and their codes?

If you open the attribute table in a web map, do the codes display under the 'CCCODE' field? or do the descriptions display?

0 Kudos
KirstenLukeACJV
New Contributor II

KirstenLukeACJV_0-1620308442585.png

And when opened in a webmap, the table view shows the description not the codes.  I cannot find a way to display the codes with the descriptions though, to show you.

That said, we have a work around.  Create a selection_one list and have all the choices (codes and descriptions) in the survey123.  The description copies over then...but that leaves a drop down in the survey123 form.  My next plan is to remove the drop down from view by having another field that will copy from the copied Station field...Hope this makes sense.  Not elegant but should work.  Really wish there was some code to have the description copy over.  I feel like it should be something to add in this ?mode=collect&field:Station={CCCODE}&field:buildingtype={Asset_Code}&field:Asset_Num={Asset_Num}&field:Comments={Comments}

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

If you're working in ArcGIS Online, is this a Hosted Feature Layer or a View Layer?
If you're working in ArcGIS Portal, is this layer published as hosted or referenced? and is it a view layer we're using?

I've replicated a field similar to yours:

GlenShepherd_0-1620348616164.png

With Domains where the descriptions and codes differ:

GlenShepherd_1-1620348650231.png

My Survey XLSForm has no choice list configured for the corresponding question/field
And a similar URL scheme in my Dashboard: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/f0f49fbf66ed487883ece613d465ec1c?field:pad_username={username}&fi...

And the description passes successfully:

GlenShepherd_2-1620348790099.png

I think we need to get more information about your layer in order to understand why it's not working. Can you answer the questions at the top of this reply?

0 Kudos
KirstenLukeACJV
New Contributor II

I'm using arcgis online, it's a hosted feature layer set to read only.  And I am using survey123 connect.  

Should I try creating a view layer?  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi Kirsten,

Did we ever end up reaching out to support in the U.S. and get assistance with this issue?
Any outcomes?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I believe you will need to build the domain into your survey.  Below is an example from one of my surverys in the  choices tab.  The first column is the name of the domain in the service, middle is the Code of the domain and the third is the description.  In the survey and dashboard the Description is what people see. 

FIELDMARKUP_WORKGROUPS1050EMS SCADA
FIELDMARKUP_WORKGROUPS1164SYSOPS
FIELDMARKUP_WORKGROUPS4002Apparatus not specified
FIELDMARKUP_WORKGROUPS4005HVDC not specified
FIELDMARKUP_WORKGROUPS4004TC&M not specified
0 Kudos
KirstenLukeACJV
New Contributor II

Thanks, yes this does work.  But creates a drop down for choice in the survey.  I will use this solution if nothing else.  Thanks!

0 Kudos