Select to view content in your preferred language

Share a stand alone table to use in oparational dashboard

11-05-2014 02:17 PM
Ulises
by
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to share a non-spatial stand-alone table that is not related to any feature?  I can publish the service with the table as long as there is a feature in the mxd, but just the table looks like is not possible (share as option is grey out).  The idea is to later use the data in a operational dashboard, but is not identified as external data, just the feature layers.  In other words, is it possible to use a stand alone table (no relations or joins) in the dashboard?  I'm using 10.2.

thanks

Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrandonKeinath1

It looks stand alone tables are supported in Operations Dashboard 10.3.  I haven't found any documentation yet but if I do I'll post back.

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

Untested, but looking here Data sources in the operation view—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  it should be fairly easy to add a stand alone table.  Here's an excerpt from the link:  You can add a stand-alone table by entering the URL to the particular table, for example http://sampleserver5.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/ServiceRequest/MapServer/1.

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

Hi Ulises,

I did test the workflow suggested in my link above.  It is easy to publish standalone tables to be used in an operations dashboard. 

1.  Add the tables to ArcMap along with a feature class.  I wasn't able to publish just the tables without the feature class.  I think there are other discussion out there about this issue.  But once the feature class was added to the map then the "Share as service" option was active.

2.  Publish the service

3.  Access the REST directory and make note of the url for the tables

4.  Share the content on AGOL

5.  Open a new or existing operation view

6.  Add an external data source and browse to the table shared in step 4

7.  Configure widgets using new data source

If you have issues with this please post back so we can learn together.

Thanks,

Brandon

Ulises
by

Thanks Brandon.  I'll give it a try when possible and let you know how it goes.  Looks like it will work with tables registered with ArcGIS, but will it work with tables from another databases that are not registered?  Thanks again...

Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

Hi Ulises,

That is an excellent question.  I haven't been able to find a definitive answer but it seems like it should be possible.  Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not sure what the "register" here means,Does it mean register as versioned in GDB?  if this is the case, you don't need to register, the only requirement is to publish the table to AGOL. and make it accessible through a web service. I haven't tried accessing web services outside of AGOL or ArcGIS Server, it will be another interesting topic.

BrandonKeinath1

Hi Simo,

It's been a little while but I think the "register" refers to having the database registered with ArcGIS server rather than copying the data to the server.  I would think that both methods work but haven't tested anything besides registering the data with the server.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Brandon,

I agree, it should not matter whether the database is registered to server or not. because OD is the service consumer, form its perspective, it makes no difference to the services it consumes.

Cheers,Simo

0 Kudos