Serial Chart - Split by Field - Hide data

06-07-2019 07:53 AM
jessneuner1
New Contributor II

Hello!

We are building out a revenue chart that shows revenue by Division broken out by the groups within that division.  We're using Operations Dashboard in Portal 10.6.1.

In this case, each division has different group names -- and when the chart draws with all the data, there's a lot of empty categories for each Division group.  Is there a way to remove those empty placeholders?

Thanks for any ideas you might have out there!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jess,

> ... a revenue chart that shows revenue by Division broken out by the groups within that division ... In this case, each division has different group names -- and when the chart draws with all the data, there's a lot of empty categories for each Division group.

While I don't have a clear understanding of your dataset(s), the statement above is expected. You want to create a Serial Chart of divisions, and each division has its own groups. The chart will display all groups for each division.

A suggestion: how about making a Serial Chart showing the divisions, but don't display their groups? Instead, use a selector(s) to filter the data displayed by groups? Again, since I can't really see your data exactly, this is a suggestion.

Hope this finds you well and hope this helps,

0 Kudos
jessneuner1
New Contributor II

Hi Derek --

We have incorporated a filter for this dashboard -- and when the division filter is applied, the chart looks good.  Only the groups for the selected division show up in the chart.  

because that filter is used to adjust other indicators/charts, we need to be able to show all divisions at once -- i think having a second filter for the same data just for that chart might be a little weird.  The chart we are basing this off of (from Tableau), the chart with all divisions is pretty readable because null data is hidden.

unfortunately, i can't share this data - otherwise i'd post it. Hoping I'll have a chance to talk further about this work with you or someone from the team at UC.

thanks for your suggestions! hope you are doing good also --