Selector for a field with a large amount of Attributes (Search by attribute for Dashboards)

09-16-2022 11:04 AM
DBranson
New Contributor

I am relatively new to dashboards and the only way that I have come across that allows me to search through attributes of a layer is using the selector tool.  However this feature defaults to a Maximum categories value of 50, while I would like the end user to be able to search for a specific value out of a layer with 15000 unique values. Essentially I would like the user to get the same function as the "Search by Attribute" tool from ArcPro in a Dashboard. The selectors in Dashboard seems much more limited with a large amount of attributes to search. Is there a way to make the Selector tool work with more categories to search through or is there another tool in Dashboards that does this function or am I out of luck trying to preform this action in Dashboard?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

@DBranson -

I had a similar situation for one of my Dashboards. First, you can change the Maximum Categories to >50. Second, I found it helpful to use another Selector to narrow down the data a bit first. So for my example, I have a selector which first filters my feature layer by Watershed. Under the Actions for the "Filter by Watershed" selector, I have set the next selector to only render when a watershed has been selected:

erica_tefft_0-1663596067402.png

Once a Watershed is selected, my File Number list renders. This has helped to keep the Dashboard responsive. I've configured my "Filter by File Number" selector so that the categories are derived from Features. I have also enabled the "show filter" option which allows end users to search for a specific value. See below:

erica_tefft_1-1663596174945.png

I think if you configure your selector to have Maximum Categories of 15,000 and then enable the search option your Dashboard will bog down. Chaining selectors together might be a good option to consider. 

Erica
0 Kudos
DBranson
New Contributor

Hi Erica, thank you for the response but unfortunately I do not have a way to limited the data. I work in utilities and need to be able to select a specific pole and there are 22,000 to sort through. The idea would be to search for a specific number from that list. A dashboard just may not be a solution, we do have other mapping software but I was hoping I could use a dashboard as a quick, lightweight tool for the construction crews. 

0 Kudos