Is it possible to calculate differences of two time fields in an indicator?

Jump to solution
02-22-2018 05:22 AM
ElliottPlack1
New Contributor III

I am working on a dashboard that monitors an active Survey123-based collection effort. I want to track the field team efficiency. I can track their efficiency by calculating the difference between the start and end type fields in the feature service that Survey123 writes to.

Can I create an indicator in Operations Dashboard that shows the average difference between two date fields over a given time period?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would think that this is possible. See the options here: Date-based filter conditions—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

What you can also do is use Arcade expression to symbolize the points based on the time difference. See the DateDiff function Date Functions | ArcGIS for Developers 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
XanderBakker

I would think that this is possible. See the options here: Date-based filter conditions—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

What you can also do is use Arcade expression to symbolize the points based on the time difference. See the DateDiff function Date Functions | ArcGIS for Developers 

AdamCottrell
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to accomplish both steps in Operations Dashboard.  I'm pulling data from another system that has start and finish dates.  1)  I need to calculate the time between the start and finish.  2) Then I need to do the average.  Is there a way to calculate the time in Operations Dashboard before creating the Average Indicator?  I'm bring the data in as an eURL into Portal Web Map and there is no way to get this time value in the other system.  Is there a way to show this calculation in the web map and use it in the Operations Dashboard app?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I suppose that you should be able to create the time difference information as a "virtual field" in the pop-up using an appropriate Arcade expression. However, the usage of this type of información in a Dashboard is rather limited (although the team is working on support for the type of workflows). 

AdamCottrell

Thank you for your quick reply.  I was able to create a successful Arcade Expression that gives me the time in hours in the web map but it does not carry over into Operations Dashboard.  I even saved it as a new layer hoping to trick Op Dashboard.  It did not work.    So frustrating when you think you have it and then you don't.  This was so close to working! 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I don't think you are able to, but if you can modify the layer with a Field Calculation in ArcGIS Online, you would be able to use the same Arcade expression to fill a real field that is accessible to Dashboard.

0 Kudos
AdamCottrell

I'm using Portal instead of AGOL but same concept.  This layer is coming from another internal system through an eURL so I cannot add fields.  Just the fact that I'm able to bring in this data real-time using eURL in its own is a game changer!  Especially in Operation Dashboard.  Of course, I get the question, "Can we add the average time it takes to complete different tickets?"  I have to see if I can do the calculation in the original system first but, so far, I have had no luck.

0 Kudos
AdamCottrell

Hey all, I just came across this ArcGIS Idea.  https://community.esri.com/ideas/15442-arcade-expressions-in-operation-dashboard  In the comments of this Idea, there are a few more links to other Ideas of the same nature.  Please go vote these Ideas Up.