How to change pin color in the Side Panel in ArcGIS Dashboard. Hard to read .

06-22-2021 11:04 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hello, 

I am here to find a solution on how to is to  ask anyone out here have any luck change a pin color on the Side Panel when you open it.

Here it is what I am talking about . 

The color is green which is related to our Forest Service color but the problem the pin is very hard to read... the color is blue.  You can see the red circle I drew.  I would like to change it to another color like white .

PROBERT68_0-1624383835005.png

The reason I am asking is because I am writing it down for the Non-GIS users on my forest how to use the ArcGIS Dashboard. When you add a detail in Dashboard, I was able to use copy and paste from MS Word to the Details. It is like step by step how to use it...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here are two options:

1. Use custom CSS running on top of the page with a browser plugin like Stylus.
  2. If you're on Enterprise, go into the portal files and change the CSS document defining the color of the pin.

1 is not very user-friendly and only a band-aid, as opposed to a real solution. 2 is ill-advised, as it may break other things or change all your dashboards, and will reset if/when you upgrade the portal.

Short of that, there isn't really a good way to do this. The pin icon, along with the sidebar arrow/tab and other elements, seems to be hard-coded to blue, and the dashboard settings do not affect them.

If you posted in the Ideas Exchange to let users define that color per-dashboard, you'd get my vote. Blue doesn't always look good with my dashboards, but some of the buttons stay blue no matter what.

Final note: depending on what your dashboard does, you can approximate a lot of dashboard functions in Experience Builder, where you have a lot more control over the theme.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For reference, you should look in <web-adaptor>/apps/dashboards/assets/<some-filename>.css, then look for

.panel-container.left-panel-container .pin-left-btn {
 position:absolute;
 right:-2px;
 left:auto;
 top:2px;
 color:#2493f2
}

In mine, it was line 10262. But you really shouldn't change this without some careful considerations, and making a backup of the original CSS file first.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

That is kind of in advanced for me right now. I just was starting to learn how to use Dashboard. But I did look it up here : https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/create-and-share/effective-use-of-html.htm  . So I am not there yet...

0 Kudos