How to automatically refresh layer layer

07-18-2022 02:56 PM
Mento
by
New Contributor II

So I have a model that creates an output with custom symbology and I'm sharing it as a web layer. But, when I change something in the model or I want to rerun, I have to remove the layer from the web map and then reupload it to the web map, is there a way where it would just automatically update. Instead of me removing it from the web app, and then adding it back as a layer. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jca_geo
New Contributor II

I think you may want to create a View Layer from your feature service and use that as the data source for your web map. From what I understand, using view layers allow you retain your custom symbols when you update your hosted feature service. 

These links might be helpful: 

Working with Hosted Feature Layer Views in ArcGIS Online (esri.ca)

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Mento
by
New Contributor II

@jca_geo So I only want to preserve popups (custom and show specific layers) but I want everything else to update. How can I do that? I used view layer but to test it i decided to change the symbology of the feature layer and overwrite it using arcgis pro and I then went to Update View for the layer view setting but it didn't help

0 Kudos
jca_geo
New Contributor II

are you using the view layer as the data source in your web map? try applying your custom symbology/pop up in the (hosted, view) layer not in the (hosted) layer.

here's an overview of what i've previously done:
publish hosted feature layer > create hosted, view layer > add hosted, view layer to map > symbolize/configure pop up of hosted, view layer

when you update, overwrite the hosted layer. that should update the hosted, view layer as well while keeping its symbology.

if that doesn't work, maybe reach out to esri tech support for specifics 🙂

0 Kudos