Help needed! creating code enforcement dashboard.

Jump to solution
07-19-2021 01:34 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all!

I do code enforcement for a small city in Illinois. I have a project I’m working on that I’m not quite sure, how to work out. I want to create a dashboard showing parcels that have active violations and have a different color based on its status. I use arc collector to collect the data, but would like a rule of sorts set up so when a new point pops up in a polygon the color automatically changes within the polygon to represent its status.

Currently I have two layers.

Parcel (polygon)

And

Violations(point)

My Goal/

If point is within polygon, then fill color is red

If point is within polygon and letter= yes, then fill color is yellow

If point is within polygon and police abating = yes then fill color is blue

If point is within polygon and abated=yes then fill color is green

All other polygons would remain transparent

Polygon is Parcel information (address, pin, owner, and other relevant data.)

Fields and domains of point layer

1. Violation
    1. Grass and Weeds
    2. Life and Safety
    3. Duty to Maintain
    4. Abandoned or Inoperable Vehicle
    5. Other
  2. Notes
  3. Date found
  4. Letter Sent
    1. Yes
    2. No
  5. Date Letter Sent
  6. Police Abating
    1. Yes
    2. No
  7. Abated
    1. Yes
    2. No
  8. Abated Date
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

dashboard.JPG

Here is the mostly final result of what I was attempting to accomplish. Using points instead of the polygon parcel layer made this a lot easier. The color of the points is based on its current status. The feature layer is easily editable in the field while conducting inspections, while at the same time having a consistently updated dashboard.  I'm pretty happy with the result.

One thing to note, the points are captured using field maps. Having points was a much better solution for tracking. I can put the point down of the exact location of the violation.

Aaron

Planner

City of Washington, IL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikePordes1
New Contributor III

I think attribute rules will do the trick. I believe the attribute rules demo/learning thing uses points inside polygons, just like you explain. Note that you need ArcGIS Enterprise i believe for a collector/attribute rules/dashboard combo. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/an-overview-of-attribute-ru... 

the other way i have seen it done is based on relationship classes but that is wonky imo.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The symbology profile can only access attributes of the given feature, not other features or other layers. In order to have symbology based on a spatial relationship, you'll need some way to modify an actual attribute in the polygon layer, and to update its value as the other layer is updated.

If you're doing this in AGOL, I'd strongly suggest looking at Data Expressions, which can be used to bring custom FeatureSets into your dashboards. You'll definitely want to look at some examples to see how it works, but done correctly, you could have a FeatureSet of only those parcels intersecting a point, then symbolized based on other expressions.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

dashboard.JPG

Here is the mostly final result of what I was attempting to accomplish. Using points instead of the polygon parcel layer made this a lot easier. The color of the points is based on its current status. The feature layer is easily editable in the field while conducting inspections, while at the same time having a consistently updated dashboard.  I'm pretty happy with the result.

One thing to note, the points are captured using field maps. Having points was a much better solution for tracking. I can put the point down of the exact location of the violation.

Aaron

Planner

City of Washington, IL

0 Kudos