Filtering a map based on a selection made in a chart?

06-07-2018 11:22 AM
ReedShoho1
New Contributor

You can select features in a map/list and have all of the chart widgets/indicators filter based on that selection; is it possible to make a selection in a chart and have it highlighted in the map?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Reed,

Please see this help topic, Charts as the source of actions—Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ArthurPoon
New Contributor III

Derek

Thanks for the link.  Yes, I've configured the chart so that the map responds when the selection changes.

However, if the map has multiple layers, (e.g. if the parent data layer is separated by attribute queries), is it possible to link them to the chart so that they would all respond when the selection changes?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Arthur,

Apologies for the late reply, I've been out of the office on vacation after the esri virtual UC.

> However, if the map has multiple layers, (e.g. if the parent data layer is separated by attribute queries), is it possible to link them to the chart so that they would all respond when the selection changes?

I'm not clear on what you mean by "if the parent data layer is separated by attribute queries" - can you please clarify/explain?

0 Kudos
ArthurPoon
New Contributor III

Hi, Reed, Derek!

As Reed said, you can link all dashboard elements to the map by going into the layer actions in the map's configure menu.  e.g. when you select features in the map, the indicators, gauges, graphs and the other layers in the map (with the matching attribute) would respond.

In the link that you sent, you can link dashboard elements in the serial charts configure menu.  I was able to link all the elements to the chart, but none of the map layer are available in the list (other than the source layer), even though they have matching attributes.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Arthur,

> In the link that you sent, you can link dashboard elements in the serial charts configure menu.  I was able to link all the elements to the chart, but none of the map layer are available in the list (other than the source layer),

Thanks for clarifying. FYI, when Chart elements are used as sources for actions, for filter actions, only elements that are based on the same underlying data source can be used as targets. See the help topic,

Charts as the source of actions—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ArthurPoon
New Contributor III

Hi Derek!

Could you clarify about the same underlying data layer?

The data layer is a vegetation cover dataset consisting of ~18000 features (if you refer to the screenshot of the configure menu in the previous message, I called it Complete LandClass)  Because of the huge volume, the map loads up pretty slow and as you can see in the left screen capture, doesn't completely load until you zoom in and out a bit.

I used attribute filters to split Complete LandClass into the 6 categories. 

So, all 6 data layers showing in the right screen capture do come from the same underlying source data layer.

The pie chart is also connected to the Complete LandClass.  When selection changes (e.g. when you pick a slice in the pie chart, the Complete LandClass map layer responds).  I was wondering why the 6 filtered LandClass layers do not show up in the target list even though they have the same underlying source data layer as the one that the pie chart is connected to.

I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Arthur,

I was under the impression your target layers were different from the data layer used to power the Chart element based on this statement,

> I was able to link all the elements to the chart, but none of the map layer are available in the list (other than the source layer)

Thanks for the additional information about how you've configured the element. 

> I was wondering why the 6 filtered LandClass layers do not show up in the target list even though they have the same underlying source data layer as the one that the pie chart is connected to.

I'm unsure why this is happening. Can you please contact esri Tech Support and ask them to help investigate further? Sorry.

0 Kudos