Filter map by list selections? -Newbie

08-17-2022 02:52 PM
Labels (1)
AustinBachurski
New Contributor III

Hello, I need to preface this with saying that I'm still very new to GIS in general so go easy on me (please)... 

I'm trying to create a dashboard to display available amenities for our city parks, what I would like to have happen is that when a desired amenity is selected from the list - the map is filtered to display parks that have the selected amenity.  Problem I'm running into is that most of the parks have multiple amenities and the filter seems to be using "is equal to" rather than a "contains" when it comes to the filtering.  I tried this with a category selector as well but the behavior is the same.  

Currently I just have the amenities listed in a single "Amenities" field in the attribute table separated by commas - (Dog Waste Station, Picnic Tables, Playground, etc.)  I thought about making a separate field for each entry and just using yes/no for the value, but I would like for the filter to only display parks that meet all of the selected criteria - so it will display a park polygon if it has both Picnic Tables AND a Playground, but not those that have a Playground OR Picnic Table etc. is this possible using a dashboard?

Hoping this makes sense.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
awgeezrick
New Contributor III

off the top of my head, I don't think it's doable. I could be wrong, but I remember I had a similar situation and the only solution that worked as to have separate fields for the, in your case, various amenity types (e.g. amenity_park, amenity_playground, amenity_picnic_tables, etc.) with a value of YES or NO. Then from there, you would create a category selector for each type, this way a user could select the various combinations of amenities they are looking for.

0 Kudos