FeatureSetByPortalItem - Picking a portal?

Jump to solution
10-20-2022 06:41 AM
Labels (2)
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

The example for the portal argument here:

https://developers.arcgis.com/arcade/guide/types/#portal

is www.arcgis.com

This is of course the general url for arcgis online. I will be using a an arcade expression that references FeatureSetByPortalItem and have entered this (www.arcgis.com) as the portal argument and it works fine, but I'm wondering if it will work when the product is publicly available.

I am logged into a specific account and the data is only shared with the organization. When content is live does 'www.arcgis.com' know which arcgisonline account to access?

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it knows. Even if you're using the default URL, calling that function uses your current login information and will warn you if the resource you're attempting to access is not shared with you. And if you put in a portal URL that you are not a member of, it will prompt you to log in.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Right, so if it encounters no login, it will be limited to those layers that are shared publicly, but it will still work. It works just like loading a map with those layers in it. As soon as the layers are public, the login information won't matter anymore.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it knows. Even if you're using the default URL, calling that function uses your current login information and will warn you if the resource you're attempting to access is not shared with you. And if you put in a portal URL that you are not a member of, it will prompt you to log in.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks!

The general public (with whom this will eventually be shared) will not be logged in to ArcGIS Online though. I may be overthinking this and I appreciate your time, but I just want to make sure there won't be issues when the product goes live. I can't share the data with the public yet, so can't fully test how that will work.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Right, so if it encounters no login, it will be limited to those layers that are shared publicly, but it will still work. It works just like loading a map with those layers in it. As soon as the layers are public, the login information won't matter anymore.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS