Dashboard query range among years

08-25-2021 09:05 AM
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Is there any way to do range among years query in ArcGIS Dashboards? For example, we have multiple years data. We want to query data from Aug. 1st to Aug 10th of  year 2019, 2020 and 2021. If not, any workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

Rose

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To interactively slice a date range across multiple years, you'd essentially need separate fields representing parts of the date (month, day, or maybe a single day of year, i.e 237 for Aug 1), or else you'd need to carefully define that as an option in your Date Selector.

jcarlson_0-1629909202519.png

The latter option can be extremely tedious with many ranges, and is not adjustable for the dashboard's users. If you edit the dashboard's JSON, you can quickly create lots of defined options, but the static nature of those selectors may not be what you want.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Josh for your insight!

Yes, the latter one is not an option for me as it's not adjustable for the dashboard's users.

We do have a field "yDay" which represents a single day of the year, for example120  for Apr. 30th, 2021. With that, how to interactively slice a date range across multiple years? Any more detailed information? Or can you point me to any document?

Thanks so much!

Rose

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe you'd need a "year" field, too, thinking about it more. Easy enough to calculate that to a new field using EXTRACT. The day and year would each have to be on their own number / category selectors.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again Josh,

You are right that the day and year would each have to be on their own number selector. For the day number selector, it will display from 1 to 365. That is not user friendly. Instead of displaying 1 to 365, is there a way to display Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 like the screenshot below?

RangeAmongYearsSelector.PNG

Thanks 

Rose

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you add a coded domain to the field to associate each number with its label? I'm not sure of another way.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Josh,

I tried to used a coded domain, but that did not work. The "Number Selector" only shows the numbers, not the coded values.

Regards

Rose

0 Kudos