Dashboard map not showing all features, even when filtered.

Jump to solution
10-14-2020 10:30 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a dashboard that contains one large-ish polygon feature class (20,000 records). I have a filter for year and another filter for another element.

The filters have an action on the features so they reduce the number the map has to display. No matter how few features there are, the map always refuses to show all features at the full extent. It is acting as if there is a series of scale dependencies or too many features to display, neither of which is the case.

It gets a bit weirder. If I filter the features in the web map that feeds the dashboard for a particular year, ALL FEATURES FOR THAT YEAR WILL DISPLAY AT FULL EXTENT IN THE DASHBOARD (pardon the all caps).

If I do not filter in the web map, but apply a filter in the dashboard, only a subset of features displays at full extent, with more features appearing as you zoom in.

I have set maximum number of records to return on the service at 100,000.

This appears to be a bug.

Has anyone experienced this? I would very much appreciate some advice as we are currently stuck. 

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danheim
New Contributor

hello everyone.
I'm not quite sure, but check whether you have activated the update interval of the level to be displayed and set it to 1 minute as a test.
I have similar problems with the display of the point data and tried around with the refresh interval and it seemed like it is now displaying the data correctly in the dashboard. Previously, these were completely invisible to me, regardless of my zoom status.

Best regards

View solution in original post

22 Replies
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Same here.

I have about 60.000 points (and it will increase "unfortunately").

I have category selector on top that filters points in the map and items in a list.

Let's say I pick the category with 10 points, only 3 are shown in the map.

The list has all 10 items in it, but if I select one item that in the map this is not shown, the flash goes to the right place but still no point on map.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am convinced this is a bug, or if not technically a bug, a very bad feature. It appears as though Operations Dashboard "decides" which features it can show based on the feature service and no amount of filtering within the dashboard will change its mind. I have had 20 features visible and still they would not all show when I zoomed out. I'd watch polygons disappear as I zoomed out.

Also, OD does not appear to respect the maximum record count on the feature service.

What I have done is do a dissolve with multipart output. This reduces the number of features dramatically. Dashboard seems more concerned with the number of features than with their size or complexity.

This works, but I lose detail. I may set up dashboards with two layers with scale-dependencies to control visibility - a generalized layer for full extent and a detailed layer when zoomed in that will allow the user to get polygon-by-polygon detail in a popup, list or detail pane.

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Randy McGregor wrote:

Also, OD does not appear to respect the maximum record count on the feature service.

I created a WebAPP with Web App Builder that has the same filter like OD.

The web app shows the right number of features, so I don't think it is relater to the maximum record count.

My service is hosted on AGOL and tried to overwrite the service and also rebuild the indexes. This last one helped in speeding the time for drawing but that's it. Always the same number of features will appear.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you mean nothing changes how many features are visible at a particular scale within the dashboard map? If so, that is exactly my experience. The filters are ignored by whatever component is deciding how many features to draw.

0 Kudos
JamesParker1
New Contributor

Hey did you ever resolve this? I've encountered the same problem. I've gone through all the same trouble shooting steps, increasing max records in the service definition, trying to edit the OD JSON. No joy. I'm hoping you made the breakthrough...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I dissolved my polygons into a multipart feature class. The resulting output had a surprisingly small number of records. I put the dissolved features into my web map and set a scale dependency so that it would show at full extent then disappear when zoomed in. The more detailed feature class appears when the dissolved feature class disappears.

This way, the user can see the distribution at full extent, but when zoomed in, see all the detail of the original file.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have found operations dashboard completely impervious to anything that normally increases visible features.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Also had this issue.  Points deciding to display randomly by extent and scale. Looked very poor when demonstrating the dashboard.

0 Kudos
TanGnar
Occasional Contributor

Same issue with point data. 

It works as expected with Dashboards Beta, but there are other issues with that preventing me from using the Beta for this project. Really bummed to be running into this issue. 

0 Kudos