Crashing may be connected to feature services that aren't working

09-18-2013 05:34 PM
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
We are getting a lot of crashing, but it does it more when services aren't responding.

We're also often getting disconnects with services.... then collector doesn't reconnect after it fails.

We're talking about feature services that are published on our public ArcGIS Server that are secured.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Peter -- Could you clarify if you are seeing crashes when using Operations Dashboard, or when using Collector?

Thanks!
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Operations Dashboard.

When a feature layer fails to respond in from the Map in AGOL the dashboard bails.

We've got features services on our DMZ ArcGIS Server 10.1 that are password protected using ArcGIS maintained security.  Could be a timeout issue.  But sometimes it's my fault when a service is restarting or stopped by mistake and the dashboard starts it then crashes.

I can repeat the crash.
0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you email me (kdonia@esri.com) details of how you are able to repeat the crash, as well as (if possible) give me access to the services so I can repro it here? I haven't seen this.

Thanks!
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
OK will do. 

Thought the problems had settled down.  Then I just went to create a new dashboard to recreate the problem and it crashed again.

I suspect the secure services hosted on our DMZ and registered on AGOL.  I also get disconnections to the services sometimes while running dashboard - the little orange triangles with exclamation marks.  And sometimes can't login using any of our organisation accounts - says I have the username or password wrong even though I'm sure I do... and will start working again in a few minutes. 

The other unknown could be our organisations firewalls...  which I hope it isn't.  

I'll send the screen captures and work out a way for you to share the service causing the problem.

Peter
0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks Peter for all your help through email as we figured this one out! Just to update the thread for others who come across the same problem, here is what addressed the issue:

Updating the OperationsDashboard.exe.config file with the following line:
<defaultProxy enabled="true" useDefaultCredentials="true"/>

Details:

1. To find the OperationsDashboard.exe.config file, run Operations Dashboard, and while it is running open Task Manager.

2. In Task Manager, find OperationsDashboard (if you are on Windows 7, you need to find it in the Processes tab; on Windows 8 you can use the applications tab), right-click on it, and select �??Open File Location.�?�

3. When that folder opens, you will see an OperationsDashboard.exe.config file. Open it in a text editor.

4. Add the line inside the <system.net> tag.

This will leave you with the following section as part of your config file:
  <system.net>
    <defaultProxy enabled="true" useDefaultCredentials="true"/>
  �?� etc �?�

This is something that will be in place by default with our next release.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos