Control over what is displayed in widgets?

Jump to solution
11-16-2018 08:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a dataset comprised of a very large number of points. I have list, detail, and series chart widgets set up in a dashboard. The problem is they all three try to display information for every point within the data frame, whether or not the features are turned on.

This means that when the dashboard is first open, it takes forever to load (usually throwing up one or two, "Are you sure you want to keep waiting for this thing?" messages before it does), because the dashboard is trying to populate these widgets with information from 10,000 points, even though they are not initially visible.

Is it possible to "tell" the widgets to only display data for selected features and/or to not ignore the data layer when it is not turned on?

Or, is it possible to put a scale-dependency on the widgets? I have investigated, so if it is possible to do any of these and it is clearly described in the documentation, apologies in advance 😕 If it's not possible, it should be

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Randy,

I suggested using scale dependencies in the web map to try and help address your issue of "when the dashboard is first open, it takes forever to load".

> ... the scale dependency on the web map is ignored by the dashboard charting widget

This is expected behavior. Sorry. Please post an enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site to enable the Serial Chart element to respect the scale dependencies set in the web map.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

To clarify, The widgets are all set up to only display what is within the view (whether or not it's visible) or what is selected, so I do have some control. The problem is that when you are zoomed out far enough so that multiple points are within the view, things bog down and I don't know how to prevent that from happening. I was hoping I could tell people to make sure this layer is not turned on until they are zoomed in quite a ways, but that doesn't help because the widgets populate whether the layer is turned on or not.

Thanks,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Randy,

> ... is it possible to put a scale-dependency on the widgets?

No, but you could try setting scale dependencies when configuring the web map.
Set visible range—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

> I have a dataset comprised of a very large number of points. ... This means that when the dashboard is first open, it takes forever to load

Checkout this video that discusses some strategies for displaying large datasets,

The Million Points on a Map Problem - Advanced Techniques - YouTube 

Hope this helps,

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I will set the scale dependency in the map, and watch that video. Appreciate it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, the scale dependency on the web map is ignored by the dashboard charting widget. There doesn't seem to be any connection between the chart widget and the visibility of the features.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Randy,

I suggested using scale dependencies in the web map to try and help address your issue of "when the dashboard is first open, it takes forever to load".

> ... the scale dependency on the web map is ignored by the dashboard charting widget

This is expected behavior. Sorry. Please post an enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site to enable the Serial Chart element to respect the scale dependencies set in the web map.

Hope this helps,

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I will post an enhancement request.

Randy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I created a category selector in the left panel, and set a default expression that isolates one sample area and the chart is manageable. Different sample areas are easily selected from the drop down and more than one sample area is never visible at any time. 

0 Kudos