Category Selector slow to filter

12-06-2018 02:11 PM
AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS‌ team

I have a dashboard with 38 different widgets in it. Each of these widgets references the same feature service hosted in ArcGIS Online. This feature service is a table with less than 100 entries. Because it's a table I simply reference the layer directly and don't have a map as part of this dashboard.  I have a left panel, with a category selector in it. This selector filters all 38 widgets identically. However, it takes a long time after selecting a value for the filter to work its way through all 38 widgets. I've experimented with including a map and setting a refresh interval and pointing a couple of the 38 widgets at that map instead. However, there's no noticeable improvement. Do I have any other options? I'm receiving complaints that the dashboard is essentially unusable as filtering between categories takes so long.

Thanks

Derek LawPatrick BrennanDavid NyenhuisTif PunJeff Shaner

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Most of the Operations Dashboard elements are very lightweight (e.g., they perform their statistics on the server), with the exception of the map and date-based Serial Chart. You mentioned there's no map element, so what other types of elements do you have? Do you have a List element? If so, try bumping up the max feature count value. One other suggestion: in your AGOL hosted feature service, bump up the maxRecordCount.

Hope this helps,

AndrewHargreaves2

Hi Derek Law

Thanks for the reply. I have each of the below:

• 10x Indicators
  • 16x Gauges
  • 8x Pie charts
  • 8x Lists

All of the above are filtered by 4 category selectors, all of which filter the above both individually or in combination.

I did as you suggest:

• I up'd my feature service maxRecordCount to 10000 (I only have 125 features)
  • For each list element I increased the Maximum Features Displayed from 50 to 500

Sadly, I see no improvement in performance.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Andrew,

Sorry that my suggestions did not help. Please contact Esri Tech Support and open an issue so they can help you investigate further as I'm out of ideas.

Side note: I'm curious to see your Dashboard - any chance you could email me a few screenshots?

0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves2

Hello Derek Law

I am still experiencing slow performance with this dashboard. I had Patrick Brennan‌ look at it when at the Dev Summit and his feeling is I had too many widgets stacked in there, all relying on the same category selector for filtering‌.

As an alternative I saw Sandra Luken present on url parameters and wondered if that may help my issue - I thought about creating a series of dashboards and filtering them based on passed in URL parameters. However, what i'm struggling with is how I could generate the dynamic URLs I need based on the combination of the multiple category selections a user can make in my dashboard, eg: Project AND Date AND Staff. Unless I made URL's covering all possible combinations of these there's not way to grab the dynamic URL that the various category filters create is there?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Andrew,

Apologies for the late reply. I was out on vacation since Dev Summit 2019, then out on business travel.

I believe my colleague reached out to you directly to discuss your Dashboard performance issues.

Thanks,

0 Kudos