AGE 10.9.1 to 11.1 upgrade - Upgrading Dashboards in advance

Jump to solution
01-24-2023 02:08 AM
Labels (1)
AnnetteFarrell
New Contributor II

Hi all,

We are preparing for an upcoming 10.9.1 to 11.1 migration.  We have some big Classic Dashboards and are still using Map Viewer Classic.  We want to upgrade to the new dashboard format in 10.9.1 before we begin the 11.1 upgrade.   Follow Feature functionality is not critical for us. 

I am documenting the upgrade process but am unsure what steps to recommend as often the input maps (built with Map Viewer Classic) are also used for Web app builder applications.  

esri recommended process:

1. In Map Viewer (not Map Viewer Classic), open your dashboard’s web maps and standalone layers.
  2. Ensure that everything displays correctly and make sure that all layers that are used in your dashboard are visible.
  3. Save any changes you make.
  4. Open the dashboard for editing in ArcGIS Dashboards.
  5. Verify that your dashboard is working as expected.
  6. Save your dashboard.

The risk here is you can lose Map Viewer Classic functionality (that is used in your Web app builder).

I am thinking of recommending these steps:

1. Create copy of dashboard using Classic Portal URL.   Save the copy using Save as.

https://portal.address.com/portal/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa#mode=edit

2. Open the copy of the dashboard as a new dashboard using the URL format below.  Save the dashboard.

https://portal.address.com/portal/apps/dashboards/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa#mode=edit

3. Test original Classic Dashboard vs New Dashboard (copy)
  4. If there are no issues open original Dashboard as a new dashboard and Save.  This will save it as a new dashboard and the upgrade is complete.

Issues can be handled on a case by case basis with the first step of troubleshooting to check data sources in the old map viewer vs the new map viewer: Ensure that everything displays correctly and make sure that all layers that are used in your dashboard are visible.

We are probably overthinking it but unfortunately we took some complex dashboards and applications into maintenance without any supporting documentation.  So I am trying to cover a process that will handle upgrading these too. 

Any tips or lessons learned would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You may be overthinking it, honestly. All our old dashboards (even those tied to Classic web maps) came over just fine, even those that we did not manually save in the new Dashboards before upgrading.

Still, being proactive can save you and your users a lot of headache. Personally, I'd focus on steps 4-6 in that linked article. For each of your important dashboards:

• Open the dashboard for editing in ArcGIS Dashboards.
  • Verify that your dashboard is working as expected.
  • Save your dashboard.

This gets your dashboards into the new system. I've yet to encounter a situation where a Classic map configuration caused issues in the new Dashboard, but if such a thing happened, you'd know right away in step 5, and could, from there, open the map and make necessary adjustments. But where most maps will just work, steps 1-3 add a lot of unnecessary clicking and page loading.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You may be overthinking it, honestly. All our old dashboards (even those tied to Classic web maps) came over just fine, even those that we did not manually save in the new Dashboards before upgrading.

Still, being proactive can save you and your users a lot of headache. Personally, I'd focus on steps 4-6 in that linked article. For each of your important dashboards:

• Open the dashboard for editing in ArcGIS Dashboards.
  • Verify that your dashboard is working as expected.
  • Save your dashboard.

This gets your dashboards into the new system. I've yet to encounter a situation where a Classic map configuration caused issues in the new Dashboard, but if such a thing happened, you'd know right away in step 5, and could, from there, open the map and make necessary adjustments. But where most maps will just work, steps 1-3 add a lot of unnecessary clicking and page loading.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AnnetteFarrell
New Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback Josh.  Much appreciated.  

0 Kudos