Select to view content in your preferred language

Zoom limitations to a minimum and maximum in the dashboard

a week ago
Sara_Fatimah
New Contributor III

ArcGIS webmaps nor the dashboard gives me the ability to control how much the user can zoom out. As a result, no matter how elegant the map in my dashboard is, when a user zooms out to an exponential level, it makes a very silly looking map. See image below. ESRI, please do something about this. I am crying!

Sara_Fatimah_0-1720038683575.png

4 Comments
Sara_Fatimah

@RickeyFight Thank you for sharing the link above. Looks like this is outdated as of 2021. I went through the steps to try to solve my problem. I ran into two things.

First, the minimalist app is no longer offered. So instead, I went with the Media Map. It turns out, they have taken out the "Navigation Boundary" feature entirely. See my screenshot below. 

Sara_Fatimah_0-1720552588647.png

RickeyFight

@Sara_Fatimah 
One option is to create a Custom Web Application with JavaScript API

If you need more control over the zoom levels, you can create a custom web application using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript. Use the minScale and maxScale properties to limit the zoom levels.

Another option is to take the created custom web app above and embed it in your dashboard.

• Open your Dashboard in ArcGIS Online.
  • Add an "Embedded Content" widget.
  • Enter the URL of your custom map application.

Sara_Fatimah

@RickeyFight  I appreciate the feedback. Creating a custom application via a JavaScript API would require me to host my custom app on my personal/work server before it can be integrated into AGOL since ESRI does not provide the ability to host any custom apps on their server. So creating a custom app is not accessible for to those that do not have access to a private server.

Do you know of a way to add the minScale and maxScale properties to limit the zoom levels of my webmap already hosted in AGOL?