When will I be able to develop a custom widget for the ArcGIS Portal OPS Dashboard?

03-02-2021 12:15 PM
BrianJohnston4
New Contributor III

When will I be able to develop a custom widget for the ArcGIS Portal OPS Dashboard?

5 Comments
DerekLaw

Hi Brian,

ArcGIS Dashboards currently does not offer any extensibility options and there are no immediate plans to enable a developer framework for it.

What functionality do you think is missing that you want to develop a custom element for it? Your requirement might make for an enhancement request. Please be as specific as possible.

Hope this helps,

BrianJohnston4
Derek,

Thank you for asking. The requirement is to be able to build widgets, preferably with the same API we use to build widgets in the WebApp Builder Developers Version. For example, I have a custom list widget with special actions that I developed for a WebApp and I'd like to be able to deploy that widget to our Portal and then add it to an OPS Dashboard. Otherwise, if that is not do-able then it would help if the OPS Dashboard widgets provided a way to execute a custom action that can call Avenue.

DerekLaw

Hi Brian,

The requirement is to be able to build widgets, preferably with the same API we use to build widgets in the WebApp Builder Developers Version.

As I mentioned, there is no developer options for ArcGIS Dashboards at this time. You can vote for this idea: Operations Dashboard Developer Edition

> ... it would help if the OPS Dashboard widgets provided a way to execute a custom action that can call Avenue.

Are you referring to Avenue, the scripting language for ArcView 3.x?  Both the product and scripting language are retired and unsupported by Esri. 

What does the Avenue script do? That would likely be the enhancement you could submit for ArcGIS Dashboards on the Ideas site.

Hope this helps,

BrianJohnston4
Thank you, I voted for it! Glad it is on the radar.

Did I say Avenue? Ha Ha, I'm showing my age, I meant Arcade, or better yet Python. As far as what it could do, as a developer, I'd want to be able to pass parameters derived from the dashboard data sources to whatever, a web service for example, get a response, parse out what I need and then display it on the dashboard somewhere, like in an expression belonging to the widget the script is called from.

DerekLaw

Hi Brian,

Apologies for the late reply.

> I meant Arcade, or better yet Python. As far as what it could do, as a developer, I'd want to be able to pass parameters derived from the dashboard data sources to whatever, a web service for example, get a response, parse out what I need and then display it on the dashboard somewhere, like in an expression belonging to the widget the script is called from.

FYI, the new ArcGIS Dashboards Beta has enhanced support for Arcade expressions. And when it goes final (coming soon in the next ArcGIS Online update) it will have new functionality where you can use Arcade to define data expressions - this might meet your needs. I suggest you wait to check this out.

Hope this helps,