Operations dashboard - swap out web map option

10-21-2018 02:59 PM
GM1
by
Occasional Contributor

Within the map configuration settings, would it be possible to offer options to:

• Swap out the web map for a new one?
  • Map the previous layers referenced in the dashboard to new ones (assuming similar schemas)?

My challenge is that I have a dashboard comprising a map, 5 charts, 2 indicators, date and category selectors.  There are a wealth of complex actions set up.  I wish to create version 2 in parallel so I don't damage version 1.  This is presently  difficult because if I save out a copy of the dashboard then remove the web map, all items referencing it are deleted.

A further challenge is that my layers have complex symbology and were published to ArcGIS Online using ArcGIS Pro to retain this.  Should the data change in future, like further categories be added, I will need to republish from Pro.  To integrate the new data into my dashboard would seem to then require a rebuild of the web map also the dashboard.

Open to suggestions if I am missing something!

See also https://community.esri.com/ideas/14350 idea.

8 Comments
deleted-user-8TVt6oc0ewsX

This is a huge issue for me as well.  If a feature class field changes I end up having to recreate the entire dashboard from scratch.  I would love to see a tool similar to "Feature Class to Feature Class" in ArcGIS Pro where I can map fields from OLD to NEW and preserve all the work invested into the dashboard.

BrianFausel

This would be a great enhancement for me as well. I haven't had to do it yet (change to a new web map but keep dashboard widget settings), but I know it will happen sometime. It might be possible to do this through the AGOL Assistant / JSON editor, but it would be nice to do it right in the designer.

JoeBryant1

This is a workflow I need constantly. I have set up a Dashboard to track metrics from Survey 123 submissions of our client field projects. We do these projects all the time with many clients. I just want to create a copy of my complex dashboard and replace the webmap/data it references as the schema will always be the same.

FreddyCroft

I've run in to same issue and it's quite frustrating. I'll frequently make mock-up dashboards that I will want to simply change out 1 map and BAM, all of the nonrelated filters break on the selector. I currently have a dashboard pulling from 5 different data sets powering 10 charts/cards and 1 map. I have a similar field in all of the data sets so I have my category selector filter all of the different fields at a time. When I went to change out the map for a new map, the category selector is gone and I have to go reconfigure it and link it to all of the different charts/cards. Very frustrating. Enterprise doesn't even give you a warning about it. 

DanteLee

If it's any help, you can modify the ID references in the JSON using ArcGIS Online Assistant. It's recommended that you keep a copy of the JSON before editing, in case you break something by deleting the wrong piece of code.

patrickb
Status changed to: Under Consideration

The workaround suggested by @DanteLee (and others) of using the AGO Assistant to switch the IDs of the webmaps being referenced. The key for producing correct/expected results with this workaround is to ensure that the webmaps have the exact same layers, and that each layer's schema is the same. 

JavierPablosAbelairas

Hello,

I am trying to move a dashboard between different portal for ArcGIS in differente environments (dev to test to prod)

I am using Agol Assistant to copy the webmap between environments. Is it possible to force the webmap to have the same itemID in all environments?

I am using Agol Assistant to copy a Dashboard JSON in dev environment and use it to update a Dashboard JSON in test environmen so I don't need to configure the dashboard again in each environment. After modifying the JSON to adapt it to the webmap in test environment it seems that the dashboard works fine. But I have 2 indicators: one that counts the number of elements of a layer in the map, and one that sums the area of the amount of elements in the map (sum of field st_area). The second one is not working and it seems it doesn´t recognise the field st_area in the layer. The ret of the dashboard is working fine so I tried to configure again the second indicator but when I try to select the field to sum up, it doesn´t show me any field related to the layer. ¿Any idea?

Regards