Allow user to define default value for category selector dropdown list

02-23-2021 01:07 PM
DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

In Operations Dashboard (Enterprise Portal 10.7.1) the Category Selector item is great for easily filtering all the content across all the items in the dashboard by whatever category value a user selects. However, when using categories from Grouped Values there does not appear to be a way to set a default value for the dropdown.

Use case is I have a dashboard set up as a template but now want to use that to make a copy for each of a number of districts such that the data shown for each district defaults to their district when they open the dashboard, but then they can still use the category selector to explore other district's data if they need.

We tried using the None Option and inserting the Label of a council for the default value but this does not work.

It would be great if this functionality could be enabled. Simply a way of selecting one of the values in your category selector dropdown as the default value. Please vote up.

3 Comments
WillWoodroof

Yes this would be a great addition. I need this as well!

AlessioDiLorenzo

Absolutely necessary and urgent!

This is my use case: I have a category selector populated with grouped values and the only way to set one of the values as default is to choose the single selection option for the category selector widget.

One of the requirements of my dashboard is to have a default selection at start, while the users have to be able to select one or more of the grouped categories when they are interacting with the dashboard. The problem is that if the selector is set to be multiple, it is not possible to define a default.

It simply does not make sense and it is very hard let understand this limitation to the users, particularly if they are non-technical people.  

LACountyCIO

I'm having a need for this enhancement. 

Currently only Single selection is allowed, however, this is also restricted to First and Last and should have the option to have user input of a defined value. 

This would also be true for Multiple selection. If the user can define the value ( similar to an exact filter value), I wouldn't think have selection set to single or multiple would create a problem. 

Thanks for the consideration.