Allow Operations Dashboard Widgets to filter related records based on selections in map or another widget

09-23-2015 12:55 PM
RogerBannister
New Contributor III

Related tables and features are difficult to navigate in the current version of Operations Dashboard. Allowing widget filters to be based on an attribute from the selected item in another widget would create a more dynamic interaction allowing for much more intuitive data discovery. Consider a case where a point feature class is related to a table containing inspection data. When you click on the point the List widget showing the table records would be filtered by the related attribute showing you only the inspection records related to that point. Similarly a chain of relationships could be navigated. A polygon representing an impoundment related to a table with inspections related to points representing spot observations with picture attachments. Click on the pond on the map and the List widget shows you the related inspections from the table, click the inspection and a feature details widget shows you the attributes from the related points and pictures.  

3 Comments
ChristalHigdon_USFS

I am still finding this difficult to do, 5 years later. Using Dashboards (Beta) or WebApp Builder and having much trouble getting photo attachments to show up, where they are related a few M:1 tables deep.

patrickb
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@RogerBannister I believe the scenarios you have outlined are possible via ArcGIS Dashboards actions

@ChristalHigdon_USFS Might you have able to provide us with a mockup of your data model that shows the relationships you need to navigate in your data (photo of hand drawn model would be fine). Currently, dashboards will only show attachments in a map's popup or via a Details element.  

ChristalHigdon_USFS

@patrickb  YES! I would love assistance, if possible, or to provide our structure so it can be handled "in a future release".    😉
I didn't see a way to upload a file, so hopefully this link to the zipped file GDB will work.
https://new.cloudvault.usda.gov/index.php/s/P45x9rDP259tmj3
It contains some sample "dummy" data in the structure it's in. So we have this in our corporate Oracle SDE database (version 10.7) and then published to our internal ArcServer as a Feature/Map Service. It is that Feature Service we are trying to use in the Dashboard or WebApp Builder products. When accessed this way, the relationships do not allow for the related tables to be in an element (List/Details pane) and filter based on selections in other elements. I have tried to also create an SDE database view and publish that on our internal ArcServer and that works except the photos do not come through. Even when I explicitly name the DATA column to show, it does not display the photo.

The data structure in SDE is as follows:
Activity (feature class)
Many-to-one relationship to:
Stop (related table)
Day (related table)
Trip (related table)
One-to-many relationship to:
Photos (related table)
One-to-many relationship to:
Photos__Attach (attachment table)

This data is originally created in Survey123 and then using FME, processed and broken into this structure, adding additional fields and performing calculations, and published as a service.

This is the dashboard using the published SDE database view for the Details pane because I could not get it to work properly using each of the related tables in it's own pane.

DashboardUsingView.JPG

I am able to see that there are two photos for the selected record (Trip table TRIP_GUID is in the TRIP table and the PHOTOS table and the photo is in the attachments table linked to the Photos table on OBJECTID/REL_OBJECTID). But can not for the life of me get the photos to show up in the pane. At the bottom of the Details pane, there is some Arcade that can see there are two photos but they don't show there either (set up in the map Popup).

DashboardUsingViewDetailsPane.JPG

Please let me know if you can provide any assistance or need more information to implement this functionality. I would be happy to work with you. Thank you!